[REQ] Plugin to create mob-spawning areas

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Jonathan Thorpe, May 21, 2011.

1. Offline

Jonathan Thorpe

Hi everyone, and before anyone says, yes, this has already been done in the form of Mobiile, but that plugin is now inactive, and doesn't seem to work as expected, so if any developers out there would like to try to resurrect this plugin, or create a new one, then that would be fantastic.:) People seem to have got confused over the behaviour of Mobiile in that it disabled spawning if no areas were created... this actually makes perfect sense, since there is no point in setting up spawn areas if things spawn naturally wherever they like. So the plugin would have to obey "server.properties" rules for spawning, but also be smart enough to override the default spawn behaviours if it finds animals and mobs are enabled.

Suggested commands:

/spawnarea help - shows a list of commands and short explanations.
    /spawnarea set <AreaName> - starts the creation process of an area and calls it <AreaName>
    /spawnarea update <AreaName> +<MobName> -<MobName>, ... - updates the specified area to allow the specified <MobName> (e.g. +Creeper), or deny the specified <MobName> (e.g. -Skeleton). Obviously these arguments can be mixed and matched in one command.
    /spawnarea delete <AreaName> - deletes the area from the database.
    /spawnarea goto <AreaName> - teleports you to specified area.

"/spawnarea set <AreaName>" would trigger the creation of the area based on a cuboid... the first right-click after the command would set the first marker, and the second right-click would set the second marker, allowing you to target blocks on opposite boundary angles to set the area width, length, and height.

Please note that usual spawning properties could also controlled from a config file, so pigs wouldn't need grass if specified otherwise, mobs wouldn't need darkness if specified otherwise, etc.

I hope perhaps someone out there will have a go at filling this gap in the plugin market :)

2. Offline

dreadiscool

Hi

This looks like an interesting plugin...

I'm working on this idea right now :)

3. Offline

moonjokes

If you do this I would also like a feature added to limit the number of creatures that spawn inside of a region. Like max= 10 so say only 10 mobs could spawn within the specified region. Once someone kills a mob it would allow another to spawn.

Jonathan Thorpe likes this.
  4. Offline

dreadiscool

Aw man, I just got this post late :(
    Heres a version I threw together in the past 1 hour :D

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/fun-bosslevels-create-a-boss-arena-for-dungeons-766.18272/

Thats also a possible end-cap for the plugin - suppose all 10 mobs from a spawnarea are spawned, and they are off, wandering somewhere where nobody knows. Then that area will become 'infertile' and not spawn anymore mobs. If you want though, I can still add this in the next version

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  5. Offline

moonjokes

Maybe a way to kill the mobs if they leave that specified region would solve this issue?

6. Offline

dreadiscool

Sounds good :p
    but this might also lag the plugin, because it has to keep track of every mob spawned. It may not matter with 1 or 2, but once you get to like 20, you will notice the difference - it's not possible to 'release' a mob from the plugin, and then remap the mob as to despawn it - if you want to be able to keep track of it, you need to save it in memory.

7. Offline

moonjokes