[REQ] Suggestions Plugin?

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by IAreKyleW00t, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Offline

IAreKyleW00t

Hey, I'm looking for a plugin where people can suggest something via a command. This would then be sent well... saved on a .txt file for easy reference. This would later be looked at by the Owner of the server who can then determine what to do.

Basically I would want the command to be something like /suggestion
    Eg:
    Code:
    /suggestion Allow PvP everywhere.
    It would then save as something like this...
    Code:
    PlayerName: Allow PvP everywhere. [hh:mm]
    Something like that doesn't seem too hard, but I couldn't find it at all... so I'm hoping someone could make it! I'm sure many people would benefit from it too.

PRO'S:
    -Easy to use
    -Easy Searching
    -Much better than people spamming you
    -Makes your server better overall.

CON'S:
    -Some people could spam it (adding a suggestion time limit would be good)
    -Dumb suggestions...

2. Offline

Devil Boy

I would be quite amazed if this sort plugin hasn't already been made :eek:
    When I confirm its nonexistence, I'll be right on it.

With the current features you suggested, it's extremely easy to make, but I plan to use all of the extra room for improvement :cool:

3. Offline

Cabbage

working on this right now :confused:
    EDIT: got ninja'd by my habit of not refreshing pages... damn :(
    ok, gl Devil Boy... >.<

EDIT2: this basically doesn't need any listeners right?

4. Offline

scrub88

couldnt a player just spam the suggestions? maybe limit the amount of suggestions each player can have at one time to say 3?

5. This plugin willy be me favoritte bukkit plugin! It would've be so awsome!!! MAKE IT!

6. Offline

Cabbage

Ok, I'm working on this right now... but gotta go outside for a few hours, I think in 12h from now I should have a working build :)

7. Lovly, can you add permission? Would be kinda hard if some random noob logged in to server and typet in manny random stuff and spammet the hole file! It would also be awsome to add some groups to what they are suggestion, like this:

/suggestion survival maps make it bigger
    /suggestion builder mode when is the new plugin comming?
    like that!

8. Offline

Cabbage

In later versions ^^
    I could add a "tag" support - like groups but consisting of one argument - e.g. survival_maps instead of survival maps because without the _ it would be hard to distinguish where does the group end and the actual suggestion start, if you know what I mean :)
    Just got back home, so I'm gonna work on it again. Basically I need to add the File IO and it should be working :)

9. Yeah, what the actuly command is, can be the same for me! But only having that future would be nice! :)

10. Offline

Cabbage

Don't really understand what you're talking about right now :)
    but the command I've implemented is /suggestion as in the original post, and added /suggest as an alias. Thinking of /sug as another alias, what do you think?
    btw, it's fully functional as of right now, just trying to figure out the FileIO and try/catch bugs :)

11. I will explain better here:

Permission!

Whit permission i mean that it will be possible to set up permission on how manny and witch group that can do this!

Why?

Lets say i logg in to your server and i am a jerk and type 10000 up /suggestion, and inside one off them 10000 its 1 importan one from one "not jerk player"!

Thats why i mean to sett up so players can only send lets say 3 suggestion a day or something like that!

And also type inn what kind off suggestion it is, like a TITLE on the hole suggestion:

example:

/suggestion [title] [message]
    /suggestion NETHER You should make more portals!

Understand better now? And, i am sorry for my bad english!

/sug as an alias would be SO awsome, i hate long commands:p

12. Offline

Cabbage

Understand, btw yeah, the TITLE is what I was talking about when mentioning the "tags" - and I was pointing out that these would have to be oneword or two_words, so the plugin can detect what is the title and what is a part of the suggestion itself.
    Just an update - the plugin works right now, but I'm having an annoying bug - it erases the whole file when adding a new suggestion. So after I fix that, I'll post a first build here for you guys to test :)
    (permissions/limit/tags will be somewhere in higher builds, now I'm trying to get this to you fast with basic functionality :) )

EDIT: bug fixed, expect a link to the build in 5 minutes :)

OK, first version is here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13095547/Suggestions.jar

test it, see if you find any bugs. I'll take a break (perhaps into 2mor, 8:35PM here right now :)) and then proceed on to permissions, limits, config, tags and stuff. I have also plans for a toplist of sorts, so when more people suggest the same thing, it counts it in and does stuff with it, but that when all the basics are working :)

13. LOVLY! You are awsome!

Have you checkt my thread about hiring an developer? You look like a good one!!

14. Offline

Cabbage

So working good so far? :)
    Writing a Plugin submission post right now...

Yeah I have checked that thread, I even gave you the link to BukkitContrib - but to be honest, I don't think I'm experienced enough for that. This is my first proper plugin and it's rather basic, not too hard to make. The stuff you ask for there, on the other hand, if some pretty difficult coding - and I think that right now I really am not capable of that, I'll leave that to the pros :confused:

15. what is the commands?

are you going to make an tutorial video, or can i do so?:)

forget it, i found it out! it works great so far, but its hard to read the .txt file whit alle the "wierd" letters! But i queese thats hard to get ridd of? Probly make it possible to get the TITLE on one line, and the message on another one!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  16. Offline

Cabbage

weird letters? it worked normally for me... what do you get in the file? can you post a screenshot?

17. §c~H-Admin§f§f: "TEST_this is awsome"
    §c~H-Admin§f§f: "mod"
    §c~H-Admin§f§f: "BIGTREE_hello, can you spawn a big tree at the top of my house"

Its not that bad ofc, i can understand it, its just a suggestion for making it a little better, but i like it like it is now, its awsome ofc! Dont take me wrong! Your a GOD!:)

But as you can see on my name, its some weird letters! Here is what would be cool:

NAME

TITTLE

Example:

§c~H-Admin§f§f: ¨"

BIGTREE

_hello, can you spawn a big tree at the top of my house"

That you can see it like that!

18. Offline

Cabbage

Weird, for me it normally outputs Thrax. Are you using a custom chat plugin? maybe that messes up the getDisplayName()...
    After I get the submission post done, I'll try other methods to obtain the name that would not mess up with custom titles...
    How does your name look normally in game? (Including colors, titles etc)

19. Offline

NuclearW

Sounds like @Cabbage is using getDisplayName()

Try just plain-ol getName()

Edit: Ninja timing there Cabbage.

20. Offline

Cabbage

Hehe :)
    ok, gonna rebuild this right now. Thanks @NuclearW!
    Edit: ok, should be fixed now. Just use the old link, it points to the new build.

21. Oh, yeah i use Essentianal NICK name, so thats probly why it messes it up! didnt happend when another client tried it!

But the sett up i exampled over there, what you think?:)

22. Offline

Cabbage

I think that using only one line for each suggestion would be better for organization and clarity, like

[Mayor] Chuck - BIGTREE - Hello, can you spawn a big tree on top of my house?

I think that makes more sense and is easier to orientate in than having 3 lines per entry.
    Of course, if we were using formatted text, yes. Considering it's plain .txt I think I'll stick with one line per entry.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/misc-suggestions-v1-0b-know-what-your-players-want-1000.29007/
    let's move the discussion there? :) (+ you can like it ^^)