[REQ] worry free Portal based transportation between Worlds

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Janka, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Hello Mod Creators,

first: Let me apologize for my bad english in advance. It is possible that I may sound harsh or demanding but I promise that I don't mean it that way.

I looked through the Forum, used the Search and "Get Plugins" because I thought that my "Idea" is so simple and unintuitive that it had to be already made but i was proofed wrong (or at least it seems so).

So let me explain my Idea in first place:
    I would like to have a worry free (and if not more important: chat command free) Portal based world transportation Plugin. That means. I would like to define In the Plugins config file only which material the Portal has to be build from, nothing fancy like a custom shape or anything. Just the Portals we are used to use for daily nether warping. And to which world it should transport the player. The Location in the World the Player is transported to could be always the standard spawn place (There were new Players usually spawn).

I read something here that Minecraft is quite restrictive with the use of the portal texture/block.
    Of course I would totally love it if it would be manageable to give the portal event horizon a custom color but that is just an idea.
    If the Texture texture/block isn't usable because of minecrafts internals - maybe it would be possible to spawn Water as Portal? So you have to step into the water to be transported?

The background of my wish is that I mainly use my server for some sort of save file SVN for my family and friends. But we also enjoy to play custom maps some times (like Minecraft Super Hostile) and It's quite some work to set the server up to load the custom map and after finshed playing also load the "conventional" map again.

I know how confusing my description may seem so I made a visual preview.
    [​IMG]
    On the left side you can see an standard nether portal (just for comparison) I also should mention that they should stay intact as they are in use. On the Right Side you see a Custom Portal - the Shape is exact the same and also the usage. While I fetched the textures for this little preview I found out that wool isn't colored by tinting a texture but that there is a texture for every single color. To Activate the Portal the common flint and steel ignition is preferred.
    To achieve the custom portal the - let's call it customportals.yml should look like:

Code:
    thisismyworldname:
         material = resource_id of material
    I don't need anything beside that. No Permissions, no economy or anything else. I think that these things are handled by the plenty of other plugins that I don't like to use.

If I missed a plugin that already does this I apologize but I could not find it. Now that I think about it - maybe one of the already done plugins could utilize this idea for an "simple/lite" Mode?

Sincerely, Janka

2. Offline

codename_B

Have a look at Pinapp - it does basically what you are asking. It has a /warp spawn command as well as a /warp command from the portals.

3. Thanks codename_B for the fast reply but I am sorry to say that this is not the plugin I wish for. It is liteweight - yes (or at least it seems so) but as far as I understand the description I can say: Okay, if there are Golden Blocks on the floor and I type in the chat /warp teleport the player to this or that world.
    What I need is in fact a real portal - useable without typing a command. And whenever a user builds a portal made out of the same material it will do the same.

But maybe you could add this function? I am sorry if I misunderstand what that plugin does or how but I'm not the type of person who tries plugins because I don't want to wreck the perfectly running server I have. (I don't mean that your plugin does that but I think you get my point)

Thanks anyway

4. Offline

codename_B

Hi no, the idea was to get away from "portals" which require reasonably high performance cost listeners (ie will slow your server down a fair bit) and move to something equally as versatile but based off a user action, like a command, while keeping it as simple as possible for both the user and the admin.

So yeah - I do have one "block type" per world - Pinapp also has the option of managing your worlds for you in a multiverse like manner - even support for custom worldgenerators if specified in bukkit.yml and has support for different environments like nether and skylands :)

Anyway - I won't be adding "portal" portals to it at any point - but maybe it can tide you over till someone creates the plugin you're looking for, or maybe you'll like it so much you decide to keep it!

5. Well, Performance isn't the Problem on the Server or let's say - it's quite linear. There will be not much more then 10 People online at the same time. As long as it will run smoothly with this 10 people I'm fine.

Of Course that's quite a egoistic viewpoint.
    I will give it a try.

6. Offline

ZHoob2004

I'm looking for a similar functionality. I want to use glowstone/water portals to access a skylands world. Nethrar is very close to what I want, but it needs configurable portal materials and support for multiple simultaneous worlds.

7. I am currently trying to work out how Bukkit Plugins work and am currently looking for the Code that actually finds Portals. The only Trace I have so far is the TravelAgent Interface with the findPortal Class :) But I think the actual code of "what is a portal in the view of the program" is found somewhere around placing fire with flint and steel (because that's a portal).

As soon as I get to that code I am sure I can add Portals out of any material. But I'm only a lone C# Programmer and Java is a little bitchy to me :)

8. Offline

bergerkiller

I already made this feature, cross worlds and all. Very simple concept, but it works:
    - Place a sign under the ground, following format:
    After placing, the portal is added to the list (OP-only) and saved in a file for storage. By entering a portal, it checks in a radius if a sign is present (uses the previously stored locations), and if it is, the sign is read at that location. Also, verification. If the destination (third line) portal exists, you are teleported to this location. (2 blocks above the destination sign)

Cross world: you have to load a world manually. Then you can use /world spawn <worldname> to go there. In this world you can make a similar portal, pointing to a portal on a different world. One-way portals are possible; also portals warping to locations with no portals.

In onEnable all portals are read, and if a World is not yet loaded, it is loaded. No manual loading required onwards. Beware: more worlds mean more RAM.

This is stored in a simple text file:
    if this is what you need, I'll fabricate a plugin for you. :)

9. Thanks for the offer but that's not what I need :) As I explained in my first post I want to be able to build portals out of certain materials. I don't need the functionality to use portals to go somewhere else. Just If i build a "Portal Frame" out of - let's say - cobblestone and place fire in/on it it should generate a portal to a world specified in a static file on the server.

But anyway - thanks for the Help offer.

10. Offline

ZHoob2004

my goal in using such a plugin is to have it configurable from the server side and require no chat commands or signs to link portals, hence the different materials.

I personally want a way to access skylands (or any other world) in a manner similar to the nether system, but with the two worlds at the same scale rather than the 8:1 scale used by the nether.

I mentioned nethrar because it already offers configurable options for destination world and scale, so all it needs to be perfect for me is 1. configurable portal materials and 2. an option to share the same nether world between multiple other worlds (if a portal is made in skylands, go to the nether, and exit in skylands, but have normal world be the default)

11. Offline

akrieger

Nethrar can do this now - although you don't make the *entire* portal out of a certain material, you put it in the upper corners and that defines where the portal goes. Not as awesome, I know, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of writing code to enable arbitrary portals. Currently it's only available as a testing / dev build linked in my most recent post in the thread. Just define both skylands and normal as scale 8, nether scale 1, and have the destination for skylands be 'nether', same as the normal world, and you should be good to go, ish.

Edit: Once I polish up the code some / people test it and tell me if it's broken or not I'll officially release it as v2.1.

12. I will look into it - but I'm currently working (kinda) on a Plugin that is exact what I need. And as soon as I overcome my Problems with Java (i'm a C# Programmer - eclipse and java is as far away from me as aston-martin is to mercedes) i will hope to get a release out. But maybe if the Plugin has sources available I can find out how you did it and reuse the work?
    No need to Invent the Weel again :)

13. Offline

fragger505

14. Offline

akrieger

Unless I'm mistaken, MultiVerse does almost nothing that this request specifically mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong?
    The source is available at GitHub, but if you use substantial portions please credit me somewhere.

15. Well thanks for the Suggestion but that's not even near of what I'm looking at. However - thanks.

I had the Intention to do so if I want to use some of your code :)

16. Offline

akrieger

Just bear in mind I might eventually duplicate the entire-portal-custom-material behavior in Nethrar, it's just low-pri currently :)

17. It comes as near as it can get :) But sadly it isn't. But thanks for the suggestion.

For the following Posters, in short form: Everything that needs more Material or more Tools and or a other "Frame" for the Portal as a Nether Frame is not desired.

Yesterday i implemented Portal finding with custom Materials in 2 axles and properties and configuration - maybe I achieve to release a alpha sometime this week? My current code can be seen on my github page - just follow the link on this bukkit page

18. Offline

codename_B

19. Well this sounds indeed like what I looked for. I will of course try it out :) But I am currently coding on my own variation on this Request because It didn't seem that there would be any interest in doing something like this Request. It amuses me :)

20. Offline

codename_B

Heh, well at least you know it can be done now ;)
    It looks like you're not making the frame out of portal blocks? Got any in-game screenshots? I couldn't get that looking as pretty as I wanted so I decided to stick with portal blocks.

21. That's true.

I don't think i quite understand what you mean with either "portal blocks" (= obsidian?) nor why a portal frame out of any other material than obsidian should look anything other than the same structure made out of something else :)

Build a Standard Portal out of Cobblestone and you know how my Portals are looking like :) Or do you perhaps mean the "portal" itself? Meaning the inner 2x3 Blocks of Purple Half Transparent Blocks? Well - i didn't look at something else to use. I had the Idea to tint/change hue of the Portal Blocks using the Procedure Grass uses to match with the Biome but as far as it seems it's a Grass only Feature. Now that I think about - Leaves change hue aswell - but I couldn't find that either. But I didn't looked much into it. Maybe when the Mod API is released that feature will be added OR I add it through spout. But that's a real low-priority feature.

22. Offline

codename_B

The tint is caused by different "data" values and only works for certain blocks, and the grass tint is entirely a client side effect :S

But yeah, I use the 2x3 purple blocks - yours there looked like it used water which is what I was wondering lol.

23. That's just a Mockup to represent what I'm looking for. And for a short while I intended to use water but that's just not worth the effort.

Well, didn't thought about that. But doesn't wonder me much because I also thought wool was dynamically tinted and then found out (while looking for the textures used in the mockup) that It was in fact a unique graphic for every color of wool. Well - probably storing the different colors as static graphic lowers the RAM consumption.