Request Player Driven Region Manager

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by matt112986, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Offline

matt112986

What I'm requesting is a manger plugin that would allow a player (any player) to create worldguard regions but limit what they can and can't set for its configuration as well as some controls as to how many regions they can have and their size. A group system (if another plugin couldn't already work with this idea) would allow players to form groups/towns and the size and number of regions they can create would be set by the number of members - similar to towny although this plugin could be used for much more.

I have laid out my thoughts on such a plugin below, please give your input/ideas. Some ideas are similar to ones implemented in towny but there are plenty of reasons towny wont work well for me. Thanks for reading!

Preferably it would work as follows -

Config File
    A config file determines what a player and/or group can create - the number of regions, their size as well as how much more land area (Ill explain below) a group gains with each new member. If possible this could also tie in with iConomy and allow a configurable amount of land to be purchased on top of the regular allotments. More may be in the config depending on how permissions are used.

Group System
    A group system (not the permissions kind, a join able, leave able, kick able kind) would be two tiers (could add more if wanted) - one which can edit whatever options are available for the region (as set by the config or permissions) and a second which would have permissions such as build rights etc. in that region that other players not members of the group may not have. Worldguard's existing build permissions would be extended to this group.

Land Acquisition
    Land acquisition could work by a grid system where a player claims a grid space or chunk as that region. They can then claim any bordering grid space or chunk which would be added to the existing region (bordering on cardinal direction). The commands could be something like (rm=regionmanager) /rm newregion (region name) and /rm claim (region name). When claim is used it simply adds the grid square or chunk to the existing region, players would not have access to the worldguard permission, thus the plugin could stop players from creating regions larger than the Admin intends.

If a grid system is used it could work similar to towny and have a #x# size with the 128 height or by the original cuboid method while not allowing already claimed cuboids to be in the region. I like the grid system since its simpler for the players and seems less likely to have border conflicts/problems with them butting up against each other.

Permissions
    Permissions could determine who can and cant set various worldguard settings for the regions they create. For example one could be rm.firespread which would allow a player to set if firespread is allowed in the region. If the player does not have it then it goes to worldguards default setting in its config and cant be changed by players.

If its easier these options could also be set in the config for region manager. Example (yaml may not be correct) -

#if set to false players can not change a regions fire spread setting from the default worldguard setting#
    firespreadtoggle: false

In the example the plugin would not allow the player to change worldguards default settings for that world. This would allow players to set up their own pvp regions etc.

Possible? - Command Control
    (not a priority) If its possible maybe the regions could also control what commands can and cant be used in them. For example /sethome may only be allowed in a players home region(s). The config could control what commands a player may set for a given region. This could be disabled entirely and leave the commands to how they normally work. For example (I know this is not correct yaml) -

regioncommandlock: true;
    global:
    sethome,
    locked,
    true;

spawn,
    unlocked,
    false;

regionname:

-since its set to true here players can lock or unlock commands
    -sethome is locked and can not be changed in any region
    -it is set to true and can be used, a player cant disable its use in a region since it is locked

-spawn is unlocked and its availability can be set per region by the controlling players
    -since it is set to false it is disable by default, the region managers will have to enable it by command

-regionname where the settings for the specific regions go for special cases

The Rest
    Everything else could be handled by other plugins. Residency could handle protections for example. Other plugins could handle the economy, taxes, and other settings per region.

Thats my spiel, thanks for reading and let me know what you think. It may be a bit of work but it would be flexible in use and allow admins to give some region responsibilities to players. I tried to keep the idea as simple as possible, letting other plugins do work where they could. I'm sure many could use such a plugin!

(As a note on towny it can be a pain to set up and use and has a ton of features I don't need (wars and nations for ex.) and compatibility issues, it would be nice to have something that works well with worldguard and regions)