[Resource] The Easiest/Simplest way to handle multiple config files

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Goblom, Nov 12, 2013.

?

Did you find out that after using this class that managing multiple config files is much easier?

1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Goblom

Most tutorials or resources about managing config files are either vague or do not cover enough information to provide any actual simple way to handle multiple configurations.

I set out to change the curve and provide a new line for other people to follow and that is how i came up with this. It is a single class file that can hold an seemingly unlimited amount of FileConfiguration, it can save any file, load any file (That is compatible with YamlConfiguration) and also reload any File.

Source: https://github.com/Goblom/Bukkit-Li...g/goblom/bukkitlibs/config/ConfigManager.java

The entire class file is documented but if you have any question or found a bug please tell and if you did find a bug you may also submit a pull request ;)

How to use
    To Load a config file
    Code:java
    1. ConfigManager.load(myPlugin, "mySpecialConfig.yml");

To get a Configuration (FileConfiguration)
    1. ConfigManager.get("mySpecialConfig.yml")

To Reload a configuration
    1. ConfigManager.reload(myPlugin, "mySpecialConfig.yml");

To save a config file
    1. ConfigManager.save(myPlugin, "mySpecialConfig.yml");

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Offline

Ultimate_n00b

Wouldn't you put the .yml file name inside of quotes? And, why include the .yml if all it does is handle these files?

3. Offline

Goblom

Ultimate_n00b Fixed the quotes, thanks for pointing that out :)

It handles the entire file including the name. It seemed simpler to do so at the time of creation to do it this way.
    Also because getConfig() returns the FileConfiguration for config.yml. So i just seemed natural to use the entire file name

(I know that paragraph might have been a little redundant)

4. Offline

jacklin213

seems sweet +1

Goblom likes this.
  5. Offline

LCastr0

what do I use in "myPlugin"? D:

Should I do like
    1. public main plugin;

and then
    1. Messages.load(plugin, "messages.yml");
    ?

6. Offline

Sarrabiscos

Yes, the "myPlugin" variable is a JavaPlugin variable, in other words, your main class

Goblom this resource was very helpfull :D

Goblom likes this.
  7. Offline

FuZioN720

Goblom I'm getting an error on the loading of the plugin
    error:
    Code:
    [19:02:19 INFO]: xXFuZioN360Xx issued server command: /tw g medic
    [19:02:19 WARN]: java.lang.NullPointerException
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at me.xxfuzion360xx.parthenon.ConfigManager.load(ConfigM
    anager.java:33)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at me.xxfuzion360xx.parthenon.classes.Medic.giveHelmet(M
    edic.java:59)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at me.xxfuzion360xx.parthenon.classes.Medic.giveMedic(Me
    dic.java:39)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at me.xxfuzion360xx.parthenon.cmds.Give.onCommand(Give.j
    ava:34)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at me.xxfuzion360xx.parthenon.CommandManager.onCommand(C
    ommandManager.java:54)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginComman
    d.java:44)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCo
    mmandMap.java:196)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R1.CraftServer.dispatchCo
    mmand(CraftServer.java:542)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PlayerConnection.handleC
    ommand(PlayerConnection.java:932)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PlayerConnection.a(Playe
    rConnection.java:814)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInChat.a(Packe
    tPlayInChat.java:28)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInChat.handle(
    PacketPlayInChat.java:47)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.NetworkManager.a(Network
    Manager.java:146)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ServerConnection.c(Sourc
    eFile:134)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.u(Minecr
    aftServer.java:655)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.DedicatedServer.u(Dedica
    tedServer.java:250)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.t(Minecr
    aftServer.java:545)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.run(Mine
    craftServer.java:457)
    [19:02:19 WARN]:        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ThreadServerApplication.
    run(SourceFile:617)
    line 33 is:
    1. File file = new File(plugin.getDataFolder(), fileName);

8. Offline

Goblom

9. Offline

FuZioN720

Goblom I figured out what was wrong. It wasn't getting the plugin right

10. Offline

JoeyDevs

Edit: Problem moved!

11. Offline

Squid_Boss

I use another way to handle multiple configurations. Seems to me it's a lot simpler than this. I can't remember the person who came up with it, but he did name it "ConfigAccessor" and it is easier to create and edit configs. With yours, every time you want to edit the Configuration you have to include the file name, whereas in the one I use, you just create a ConfigAccessor object, set the object's filename in the Enable, and then you can use the object name to edit the config. So, if I made one called "test" to edit all I'd have to do is use test.getConfig().etc

12. Offline

Goblom

If you do not like having to use the file name every time you can create simple method to do it for you...

1. public FileConfiguration getSpecialConfig() {
    2. return ConfigManager.get("mySpecialConfig.yml");
    3. }

13. Offline

Squid_Boss

3. It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work, and a bit off that you call yours the easiest / simplest which isn't necessarily true.

14. Offline

StaticJava

Looks like the source code is gone...and updated links?

15. Offline

Goblom

StaticJava likes this.
  16. Offline

StaticJava

17. Offline

essem2

I get the following error:

Code:
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The embedded resource '9905dd85-5816-4e6c-9ced-a985c7d9b0de.yml' cannot be found in plugins/LobbyMain.jar
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.saveResource(JavaPlugin.java:252)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at de.essem2.lobby.libs.ConfigManager.load(ConfigManager.java:68)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at de.essem2.lobby.JoinEvent.OnJoin(JoinEvent.java:32)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:306)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:62)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.fireEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:502)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:487)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.PlayerList.onPlayerJoin(PlayerList.java:298)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.PlayerList.a(PlayerList.java:157)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.LoginListener.b(LoginListener.java:144)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.LoginListener.c(LoginListener.java:54)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:231)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.ServerConnection.c(ServerConnection.java:148)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.MinecraftServer.B(MinecraftServer.java:813)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.DedicatedServer.B(DedicatedServer.java:374)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.MinecraftServer.A(MinecraftServer.java:653)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:556)
    [20:33:52] [Server thread/WARN]:     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

my line 32: ConfigManager.load(p.getUniqueId()+".yml");

ps: i like your configmanager :3

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  18. Offline

Goblom

@essem2 The ConfigManager is trying to load the yaml file from the plugins jar. going into Configmanagers "load" method and change "PLUGIN.saveResource" to "file.createNewFile()"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.