Ridiculous Server Lag and How To Fix It

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Kevin Forte, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mindless728

the other option is download the jar that notch says to use for linux and create a .bat file to start it, this is what i do and it works fine, though i haven't seen my memory usage go above a few hundred megs on the client (i give it 4Gb max)

also, "Program Files (x86)" is what windows tends to use for 32bit executables and "Program Files" is for 64bit executables on a 64 bit system, though realistically you could have java or any other program installed anywhere it doesn't matter

2. Offline

Kevin Forte

Ohh alright (regarding the bandwidth).

3. Offline

Padeius Etoh

ya that will put 64 in front of 32 in the path. or at least it did for me.

4. Offline

mughi

@Kevin Forte

have you tried this?
    --- merged: Feb 21, 2011 3:50 AM ---
    you really don't need to uninstall/reinstall java to rearrange your path
    --- merged: Feb 21, 2011 3:51 AM ---
    a) you can simply change it in my computer, properties, advanced, environment
    b) path order doesn't really matter when you are already specifying the path in the start command

5. Offline

Padeius Etoh

You are so right, however, I tried both of those and couldn't get it to work so I suggested the sort of easier more understandable , for me at least, way to get the 64 to override the 32. As I said it worked for me.

6. Offline

Phaedrus

If you have both installed you can just uninstall the 32bit version from add remove programs

7. Offline

Kevin Forte

So, right now, my batch file looks like this:
    Code:
    @echo off
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    pause
    It seems to be running faster, but I couldn't allot more than 1GB of memory to it or it gave me error messages.

8. Offline

Phaedrus

Remove (x86) from that path, thats the 32bit version so it cant use more ram.

9. Offline

Kevin Forte

Hm, oddly enough, I just realized I don't seem to have the 64-bit version of Java, even after I just downloaded it from the link that said specifically 64-Bit. I know this is a dumb thing to ask, but can you direct me to where I can get the 64-bit version?

10. Offline

mughi

this page should always provide the latest jre
    (click JRE under the java picture)

11. Offline

Kevin Forte

Success! I have it running Java 64-Bit and utilizing 4gb of RAM, thanks for all the help! Is there anything else I might be able to do besides that whole batch file ordeal for a slightly faster experience? (Although even in the loading of the plugins and server itself I can tell it is exponentially faster)

12. Offline

TnT

Running a ramdisk would be another option.

13. Offline

Kevin Forte

How does this work?

14. Offline

TnT

This post has a bit of information for Windows users.

15. Offline

Phaedrus

I'll have a write up on windows server setup in a couple days.

16. Offline

andy9330

I'm having the same problem and it says "[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?" and none of your solutions helped.

17. Offline

nala3

well that there could very well be your problem, not even 1mb/s upload, I dont think 2 ppl would overload that but it might contribute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.