Solved Runnable not working in a static void [Solved]

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Just_Jitse, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Just_Jitse

Hi I am trying to make a ParticleMenu but my code is not working. Can someone help me please?

(the error is that I can't use "this" in a static void...)

Code:
    import org.bukkit.Bukkit;
    import org.bukkit.entity.Player;
    import org.bukkit.plugin.Plugin;

public class ParticleManager{

public static void FireParticle(final Player p){
                Bukkit.getServer().getScheduler().scheduleSyncRepeatingTask(this, new Runnable() {

@Override
                    public void run() {
                        ParticleEffect.FLAME.display(p.getLocation().add(0, 2, 0), 0, 0, 0, 0, 10);

}
                }, 0, 10);

}}

2. Offline

Rocoty

Well obviously you can't use 'this' In static context. What did you expect?

AoH_Ruthless likes this.
  3. Offline

Just_Jitse

well Rocoty, do you have any other idea for I could make a runnable here?

4. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

Just_Jitse
    Learn Java. That would help you the most. Static does not exist for your own convenience.

Garris0n and Gerov like this.
  5. Offline

Just_Jitse

AoH_Ruthless I am trying to learn it, but i got an error. So I thought let's aks it the pro coders..

6. Offline

teej107

7. Offline

ZachBora

8. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

ZachBora

The response isn't out of spite or rudeness. It is clearly evident OP does not have sufficient understanding of Java and is best served to learn the language the third party API is built for. Say you were illiterate and attempting to write a novel. Would it be wrong to tell you to learn to actually read?

_Filip likes this.
  9. Offline

Just_Jitse

Still didn't solved the problem...

10. Offline

Hoolean

Just_Jitse

The argument where "this" currently is residing should be a JavaPlugin Object. "this" refers to the current instance of the Object, which is non-existent as static methods do not need the Object to be instantiated.

You should change it to the instance of your JavaPlugin Object.

Lactem likes this.
  11. Offline

Lactem

Hoolean See that's a good answer. Not "learn java."

12. Offline

Hoolean

Lactem

I personally think that it is best to do a mash of both; just saying "learn java" doesn't help, neither does explaining in entirely technical terms, so I usually like to try and explain in a way that makes sense to those who know Java but is also allows users to know which specific concepts to learn if they wish to understand it. :)

Whilst saying "learn java" might provoke response, it is of my personal opinion that it is generally far more useful to at least say "learn about x in Java".

Lactem likes this.
  13. Offline

Zacky1

Heres what you need to do:

Since you can't reference this in a static object (you can but it doesnt do what you want it to), you need to reference the JavaPlugin object, which is your main class. What you can do is create a static variable that references the object. ex:

Code:java
    1. public class ParticleManager{
    2. public static void ParticleManager instance;
    3. public ParticleManager(){
    4. instance = this;
    5. }
    6. public static void FireParticle(final Player p){
    7. Bukkit.getServer().getScheduler().scheduleSyncRepeatingTask(ParticleManager.instance , new Runnable() {
    9. @Override
    10. public void run() {
    11. ParticleEffect.FLAME.display(p.getLocation().add(0, 2, 0), 0, 0, 0, 0, 10);
    13. }
    14. }, 0, 10);
    16. }
    17. }

14. Offline

ZachBora

Zacky1 I don't think that'd work, ParticleManager isn't an instance of Plugin.

15. Offline

teej107

Zacky1 To get Just_Jitse code to work, he would have to pass his plugin through the the parameters of the method to use in the parameters of the scheduleSyncRepeatingTask. You should read the JavaDocs.

16. Offline

Zacky1

Oups minor over sight, didnt see the particle manager didnt extend JavaPlugin

17. Offline

Just_Jitse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.