Saving Lists of Items to Config?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by killerman747, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

killerman747

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone out there had an answer to my question...

I am looking for a way to store large lists of items in a config to later be pulled out. The biggest example would be saving the contents of a chest, and then opening the chest up at a different location with the same contents in it. Similar to an enderchest. Any suggestions?

2. Offline

beeselmane

say you have an ArrayList of the items.. you could just do <plugin main>.getConfig().set("path.to.save", <ArrayList>);

3. Offline

Heirteir

killerman747
    Here is an example of saving a list to a config:
    Code:java
    1. List<String> list = new ArrayList<String>();
    3. list.add(thevaluesyouneed);
    5. this.getConfig().set("myvalues", list);
    6. this.saveConfig()

This will create a list
    add to the list
    set the list to a area in the config
    then save the config

Hope I helped

--Heirteir

4. Offline

killerman747

Yes, but how I would I go about creating this list of items, their Ids, metadata and amount of each item per slot for a chest?

5. Offline

beeselmane

killerman747

1. ArrayList<ItemStack> chestitems;
    2. for (ItemStack s : <Chest Inventory>)
    3. {
    4. chestitems.add(s);
    5. }
    7. this.getConfig().set("chest", chestitems);
    8. this.saveConfig();

6. Offline

GeorgeeeHD

1. Chest yourChest = (Chest) Bukkit.getWorld(Main.getWorldName()).getBlockAt(aLocation).getState();
    3. List<ItemStack[]> chestContents = new ArrayList<ItemStack[]>();
    4. chestContents.add(yourChest.getInventory().getContents());
    6. //Save to config here...

7. Offline

killerman747

GeorgeeeHD beeselmane
    Alright thats all good, but how would I then take this list and fill a chest with its contents?

8. Offline

GeorgeeeHD

make a new list equal to the list from the config, then iterate over each ietmstack and put them in the chest

9. Offline

killerman747

GeorgeeeHD
    So I have been playing around with this for a bit but still cant seem to get it to work. Heres what I currently have:
    Code:
    Inventory thing= Bukkit.createInventory(player, 54, "Thing"");
                        @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
                        List<ItemStack[]> thingc = (List<ItemStack[]>) getConfig().get(".Users." + player.getName() + ".Thing");
                        ItemStack[] thingcontents = thingc.toArray(new ItemStack[0]);
                        thing.setContents(thingcontents );

10. Offline

BillyGalbreath

Be sure your server environment is setup correctly with UTF8 or these methods will mess up custom names and lore containing color codes.

11. Offline

killerman747

BillyGalbreath
    I guess I should have included the error message I get in console when I try to open this inventory...
    Code:
    [22:57:47] [Server thread/ERROR]: Could not pass event PlayerInteractEntityEvent to MyPlugin v0.4
    org.bukkit.event.EventException
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:320) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:62) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.fireEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:486) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:471) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PlayerConnection.a(PlayerConnection.java:1068) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInUseEntity.a(SourceFile:55) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInUseEntity.handle(SourceFile:10) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:146) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ServerConnection.c(SourceFile:134) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.u(MinecraftServer.java:655) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.DedicatedServer.u(DedicatedServer.java:250) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.t(MinecraftServer.java:545) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:457) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:617) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at me.dwarvenrealms.myplugin.VillagerHandler.BankUse(VillagerHandler.java:43) ~[?:?]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:318) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        ... 13 more

12. Offline

Seadragon91

There is something null in the method BankUse in class VillagerHandler at line 43. Please post the code if possible.

13. Offline

killerman747

Seadragon91
    Alright so I saw that the inventory was returning null so I added some more code, the only problem now is that when the inventory isnt null, and does contain items, the inventory dosnt open. Heres the code:
    1. Inventory bank = Bukkit.createInventory(player, 54, ChatColor.GOLD + "Bank");
    2. @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    3. List<ItemStack[]> bankc = (List<ItemStack[]>) plugin.getConfig().get(".Users." + player.getName() + ".Bank");
    4. if(bankc==null){
    5. player.sendMessage("NULL");
    6. player.openInventory(bank);
    7. }else{
    8. player.sendMessage("NOT NULL");
    9. ItemStack[] bankcontents = bankc.toArray(new ItemStack[1]);
    10. bank.setContents(bankcontents);
    11. player.openInventory(bank);
    12. }

Heres the error:
    Code:
    [10:57:44] [Server thread/ERROR]: Could not pass event PlayerInteractEntityEvent to MyPlugin v0.4
    org.bukkit.event.EventException
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:320) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:62) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.fireEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:486) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:471) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PlayerConnection.a(PlayerConnection.java:1068) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInUseEntity.a(SourceFile:55) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.PacketPlayInUseEntity.handle(SourceFile:10) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:146) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ServerConnection.c(SourceFile:134) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.u(MinecraftServer.java:655) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.DedicatedServer.u(DedicatedServer.java:250) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.t(MinecraftServer.java:545) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:457) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:617) [craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
    Caused by: java.lang.ArrayStoreException
        at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at java.util.ArrayList.toArray(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at me.dwarvenrealms.myplugin.VillagerHandler.BankUse(VillagerHandler.java:48) ~[?:?]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_13]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:318) ~[craftbukkit.jar:git-Bukkit-1.7.2-R0.3-b3020jnks]
        ... 13 more

14. Offline

DrEinsteinium

Question: Does setConfig have custom handlers for objects like itemstacks..? If not then this method of saving items to a config will not work.

15. Offline

xTigerRebornx

DrEinsteinium likes this.
  16. Offline

killerman747

DrEinsteinium xTigerRebornx
    Either of you guys know what could be possibly going wrong?

Alright, not sure if this could be the cause but in the config where the ArrayList of items is saving, it shows up like this:
    Code:
    - - ==: org.bukkit.inventory.ItemStack
            type: ROTTEN_FLESH
          - null
    Does that extra dash in front of the first line affect it?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  17. Offline

DrEinsteinium

killerman747
    Im not sure what the output is supposed to look like... but YAML should not be parsable with two -- in front of eachother like that.

18. Offline

killerman747

Still have no idea...I might have to try to just save each slot differently then load it that way. Any last minute help?

19. Offline

coasterman10

I personally don't trust just anything that implements ConfigurationSerializable and prefer to use a compact string with my own syntax. I like the way BattleKits does its item stack format with id:amount:data. You can create your own method to save an ItemStack into that format, and then use String.split to break it up and put the data back into an ItemStack. This is for user-friendly configurations.

Now, seeing as you want to save all of the data for an item stack, you also probably need to save enchantments, lore, display name, etc. You can try extending a single-string format like I did, or you could choose to go back to using the ItemStack as a ConfigurationSerializable.

20. Offline

killerman747

coasterman10
    Yea that is what I was looking at recently, saving each slot with its own string like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.