Server RAM needed?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by DrDowfin, Mar 4, 2014.

?

How much RAM do you recommend?

1. 1GB RAM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2GB RAM

25.0%
  3. 3GB RAM

5.0%
  4. More than 3GB RAM

70.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DrDowfin

I am planning on starting a prison server in the near future, I have moderate experience downloading and manipulating plugins but I never actually bought a server for myself. My problem is that I don't know how much RAM I am going to need to keep the server running smoothly. My prison server will consist of 3 worlds 1 for the prisons another for the plots and finally a world for the ones who choose to become free, and possibly adding nether. At max compasity I dream to have 30+ players but that will obviously not be taking place when I first launch the server or anytime close to it. I will have many plugins heavy and lightweight, including MCMMO, Essentials, Plotme, Anti-Cheat, Guns+, WE and many other plugins to keep my server Fresh:p and keep the experience original from this prison server. I assume I will need 2-3Gb but I ask that some reasonably experienced server owners could help a brother out and give me a recommendation on how much RAM I will need.

2. Offline

the0dark0shadow

My bad I voted for 2 gbs, for a 3 world 30+ server I would go with 3-5 gbs.

3. You could probably get away with 3GB, if you grab some anti-lag plugins. I would recommend at least 4GB though.

4. Offline

DrDowfin

Connor2weirdness the0dark0shadow Thank you for the help I am planning on going with 4Gb unless more people say otherwise, your help was very much appreciated!

5. Offline

Iroh

You don't need 4gb, start with 2 or 3. You won't have enough players to warrant 4gb for awhile.

6. Offline

nanerz_123

My server eats my ram, no joke, eats. It is usually takes 6g of ram! (this is at 18 players)

7. Offline

DrDowfin

Iroh Thats true thats sorta what I was thinking but do you think 2Gb will be lag free because the escape prisoner world will not have many chunks loaded since that is a relatively high rank and you dont necicaraly have to go that path. But the reason I was thinking about 3Gb is because I am going to have many many plugins just to help set the server apart.

nanerz_123 What kind of server do you own?

8. Offline

nanerz_123

lol didn't want to say because the admins on bukkit lock the thread if you reference mods (lol), but it is a voltz server, which explains it DrDowfin I don't understand why they lock it considering that TNT said, and I quote "As per our rules of this forum, we leave posts open unless we absolutely need to close them. This is not one of those threads.

Strange that people keep insisting on bumping it though."

Getting back on topic, hahaha, 6g only with 18 players, if you're going for 30 players, then I would recommend about 12g

9. Offline

DrDowfin

nanerz_123 Holy shit 12GB seems like a little much they only sell up to 8gb and its only a prison though. Most people have seemed to say 4Gb

10. Offline

nanerz_123

DrDowfin well, 49 mods in the modpack voltz. That must be causing the lag. In 1.7.4 I would recommend about 4g too. Good luck! btw, tell me the ip of the server, I wanna check it out :)

11. Offline

DrDowfin

nanerz_123 It will be up soon:D Im glad to get you on the server! Currently Im working on the world and starting the website and will buy the server in the next week once I figure it all out:D

nanerz_123 Also in the future when I start getting donations, I will start a hub server with my friend who is currently making a factions server and if you are active on my server I would be happy to add your voltz server too it!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  12. Offline

nanerz_123

Rather than buying, it is cheaper at home, just a tip. (in the long run if you decide to go make a really famous server.) Anyway, if you do decide at home server, you can get rid of the ip (something like 112.343.424.24) and change it to something like myserver.com DrDowfin

13. Offline

Iroh

Don't try home hosting if you have no experience hosting. Paying a host is a much better idea.
    Then you have serious problems you need to address, no 18 man server needs that much.
    I think 2gb would be plenty to start, up it as needed.

14. Offline

nanerz_123

Iroh with 49 mods (please don't lock the thread for referencing a mods, 2 threads of mine were locked after that :p) it will lag.

I would be glad to join your when it is up! :D :D as much as I love modded minecraft, I love regular! DrDowfin

15. Offline

DrDowfin

So 2Gb sounds good to start since I dont have many connections with youtubers and other advertisers:D But I did find a good server host and was also planning on buying one anyway! but I take it I cannot advertise hosts here

16. Offline

Iroh

No you can definetely discuss hosts, just not advertise one your are affiliated with. Which one did you go with, so we can help you avoid some of the trash ones.

17. Offline

DrDowfin

18. Offline

nanerz_123

19. Offline

DrDowfin

nanerz_123 Im not worried about it being cheap as much as it being a trustworthy server.
    Also Im in US and I use USD($)

20. Offline

Iroh

That host seems reasonable, no big red flags.

21. Offline

DrDowfin

Iroh Do you think it is a good price for the quality?

22. Offline

Necrodoom

Removed advertising and unofficial build discussion.
    Read guidelines before posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.