Simplest Way of Making A Bukkit Plugin?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Rufnacous, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Rufnacous

Hello! I've been looking into making plugins recently, so I looked on the Bukkit Wiki and tried to do what it tells me to. But it seems extremely over-complexed. So I was thinking, in the way other languages such as Python or Lua, what is the least amount of applications I need for programming plugins. I know a bit about programming Java and I'm fine with learning that by myself - but I really don't see why applications such as Eclipse and Git have to be used.
    Any help is much appreciated,
    Rufus / Rufnacous

2. Offline

xXDJONESXx

The best way to learn the BukkitAPI if your a beginner is to watch some YouTube videos, they cover the basics about Events and such way better then reading it on the Wiki(My opinion).
    You can create Bukkit plugins with LUA using something called McLUABukkit.
    And if you are really not good at programming you can try Skript.

3. Offline

Europia79

Rufnacous

http://wiki.bukkit.org/Plugin_Tutorial

Actually, the plugin tutorial is really well written.

The stuff at the beginning about Maven didn't always use to be there.

I think the Maven stuff should have been put at the END of the tutorial under a heading of "Converting to Maven" with subsections of "Why Maven?" and "Making the POM.xml", etc. But, otherwise, it has a ton of good information and links.

To me, Maven is about making it easier to work with other developers. And that's why it should be at the end. Because it's completely not necessary when you're first starting out. And as you put it: it makes it "seem extremely over-complicated."

The stuff about github is there for naming-convention only.

It's trying to help you decide good names for your packages.

So, in the IDE, you first create a package like
    Then under that, you add a new java file. And if you look at the directory structure, your file can be found at
    Code:
    ~/Users/Rufnacous/workspace/projectName/src/io/github/rufnacous/pluginName/Main.java
    ^^ But that's just an example.
    So, you don't have to use Eclipse, you can just use a basic text editor to make your plugins. And that's how you would setup your directory structure for your packages.

But trust me, an IDE like Eclipse doesn't make it more complicated. It makes it MUCH EASIER.

First time i starting typing in an IDE, I literally almost cried when I saw the code completion. When I started programming, we didn't have a luxury like code completion.

Me personally, I don't use Eclipse, I use Netbeans. A lot of other people use IntelliJ.
    Try one, i think you'll like it. Good luck!

4. Offline

Bobit

Eclipse and netbeans are used because they are easier. It automatically checks for obvious errors, like it would tell you there's an error on this line:
    Code:
    System.out.printline();
    (Because you misspelled println())

In case its not obvious, eventually you will need the API. Figuring it out from the wiki and some google helped to get me started, but I didn't watch any videos.

5. Offline

Garris0n

TIL the Plugin Tutorial tells people to use maven now.

Good.

6. Offline

coasterman10

Eclipse actually makes the process quite streamlined. You just need to think from the perspective of what you're doing when you're setting up the project, rather than from what has to be done in order for it to magically work somehow.

The Plugin Tutorial provided is a very good starting resource but if Maven confuses you, you can just use a regular Eclipse project. Generally, what you're doing is the following:
    • Create a new project
    • Import the Bukkit API jar file (and optionally link the Javadoc)
    • Add a plugin.yml
    • Add a package
    • Add your main class file
    It's really not that difficult once you are familiar with what to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.