The Bukkit Team will TRY and update hMod

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Offline

EvilSeph Bukkit Team Lead Administrator

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Although people have already been under the impression that we pledged to keep hMod up to date, this isn't the case. Prior to this announcement, we had not stated anywhere that we would be maintaining hMod and anyone believing otherwise was mistaken. However, we do recognise the predicament we've put server admins in as hey0 has announced that hMod is essentially no more, and Bukkit is not ready for public consumption yet.

As such, some of us - if not the entire team - will be trying to update hMod so that you guys aren't left in the dark without a server mod to use. We never intended to shut everyone out with our early announcement - we were just looking to drum up support from plugin authors so that we had things ready. We can honestly say that we did not anticipate the project blowing up with this much activity and interest this quickly, like it did.

Once again:
    We will try and update hMod (at least this time), but we offer ABSOLUTELY NO promises that we'll be able to do it as a lot has changed and we are no longer as familiar with the project as we once were.

UPDATE:
    We've tried fixing hMod but had little to no luck. It's way too messy to work on and too much has changed in the last few Minecraft updates.

Sorry guys, but we tried :(. We kept running into issues and have been at it all day. It's time we call it quits and focus on Bukkit instead.
  3. Offline

Raphfrk

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I think the best plan is to have all your users backup their client (bit late now though :)), and keep running the old version.

What would be cool would be if Notch supported having more than 1 version of the client. When you start, you could click latest and old client.

However, even if he doesn't, you just need to keep the old version of the server running until plugins are updated.
  4. Offline

NikolaiH

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    This.
  5. Offline

webdevbrian

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I run a decently large MC server and I felt obligated to say my thoughts. Depending on how hard it is to update hMod, update it. The plugin devs can still fix their plugins if the main one is updated. Then, continue updating Bukkit until it's released.

I absolutely understand that this is a separate project from hMod. I know that the devs from this project have been fixing hMod due to the severe lack and planning that plugin had to begin with. The reality of the situation is hMod still has a ton of servers using it (due to it's safe-guard plugins) and keeping that going until Bukkit is released is going to help continue SMP servers in whole. I've already seen a drastic drop in admins just giving up within this entire ordeal and having no solution in between the plugin switch is not the solution.

Bukkit still needs safe-guard plugins, a solid stable release to the public, and Bukkit needs the time it takes for admins using hMod to port everything they have to it.

I'm extremely excited for Bukkit, but I'm not extremely excited for a rushed release of Bukkit. Right now our only option is to run Vanilla or bust, I'm choosing to run nothing.
  6. Offline

Pezmc

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Awesome, many thanks, very happy to see the community being supported, even with another (competitors) plugin!
  7. Offline

Spooner

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I just hope that we don't get those people that scream and whine about the mod being broken until updated, they annoy me and I'm sure the devs don't need any more pressure.

Edit: Oh right, and thank you very much. :D
  8. Offline

DeadPin

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    They should configure a file that will query a web directory for updates and download them if it doesn't match the version currently on the users PC. Saves a lot of time for those who are tight on time due to work or college or life in general.
    Antac55 likes this.
  9. Offline

weirdbeard

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I do not think most people expected you guys to maintain hMod. I think people expected you guys to replace hMod, according to the sudden hype generated. Not to sound harsh or seem indifferent to amount of work you have put into Bukkit but this was a lack of planning on the Bukkit team's part and not the misunderstanding of users nor the lack of action on hey0's part.

When you confirmed that hey0 has already announced he will not be updating hMod and announced that your team was working on something much better and more efficient that would be out in a "couple of days" we all took you seriously. This was over a week ago. Everyone knew that an update was coming for Minecraft a week ahead of time. So, why generate the hype and set those expectations for us when you really are not "days" away from a stable release, nor ready to replace hMod?

As I see it, if hey0 does not want to update hMod, that's on him. He gave sufficient warning so we can't fault him for it anyway. But the failure to deliver Bukkit "in a couple of days" as promised is on you guys and it is what we are all waiting for because of your announcement.

I think you guys really jumped the gun and didn't plan well enough to have your efforts meet the one-week deadline. Oh well, lesson learned, right? ;)

Anyway, I think you should just go ahead and concentrate your effort on making Bukkit stable. Users are waiting on it. Plugin authors are ready for it. You might as well deliver it rather than postpone its arrival any longer by trying to maintain an out-of-date mod.

We all appreciate your hard work and enthusiasm for making this game enjoyable on many levels. You guys stepped-up to the challenge and we all respect you for that. But now, you have to live-up to the demands of that challenge. You guys are not new at this and I think you should have expected this day to come and been ready for it.

Thanks for your continuing efforts!
    -WB
    Bladekiss and webdevbrian like this.
  10. Offline

Mert47

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
  11. Offline

Sal

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    thanks, cant wait for a release.
  12. Offline

thepenguinmaster

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Why doesn’t Notch just make a stable API for us already? It’s crazy to think that most of the game is hosted by the public and madders, but he refuses to acknowledge us? What if all of the people who host MineCraft servers went on strike? It would cripple his community! We should demand some support for an API or management tools. If there was a decent API then bukkit could interface with it and give us a clean cut and reliable plugin system.
  13. Offline

Xemnas33

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    So I guess you don't read the blog? Modding support was No.2 of their list behind a better save file format :p
  14. Offline

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I think you need to read our announcements again. Nowhere did we say that we were planning to release anything in a couple of days. We DID say we would try and get a preview release out, and have delivered - we just can't official release anything due to licensing issues that we're working to get resolved. You can download nightly builds from http://artifacts.lukegb.com/artifactory/plugins-snapshot/org/bukkit/ - these are DEVELOPMENT BUILDS and come with absolutely no warranty or support.

We did not anticipate the discontinuation of hMod and did not anticipate the amount of interest we've received either. We did not intend to generate hype, only sell our project to plugin authors to get them interested in beginning to move over to Bukkit. Any other publicity was a cherry on top. The belief that we were going to continue updating hMod until Bukkit is ready is unfounded and widespread - you can't find any evidence of any of the team members stating this, but many people believed it to be so. Thus I prepared a statement regarding it.

Shortly after finding out about Bukkit, hey0 decided to discontinue hMod. This was further complicated by a misunderstand on his part that the Bukkit team would be able to continue working on hMod while working on Bukkit. Expecting us to work on two projects is a bit ridiculous... some of us are trying to update hMod at the same time, but not the whole team.

I can honestly say we didn't mislead anyone with our announcements and anyone who was mislead was done so mistakenly.

Thanks for your support.
    willystylee likes this.
  15. Offline

W1CKEDTW1STED

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Excellent news. Thank you! It is much appreciated.
  16. Offline

willystylee

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Its kinda sad how so many are jumping on the "screw hmod" boat. I feel strongly that hey0 was a great mod, it provided a sturdy infrastructure to administration of a server and saying "screw hmod" is just really ungrateful & jaded imo...

Wow, so us server admins had to wait a few days without having a working server... sure it sucked on some levels, like having to explain to players the situation, but comon! It's a bit obnoxious seeing soo many impatient people... It was nice for me otherwise, i got a few days off of the work that has become running a server!
  17. Offline

MrJangles

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Hey, I'm MrJangles from www.minecraftaddicts.com, and here are my two cents.

I have absolutely no complaints with minecraft and its related business because of one simple fact, beta. Now, I wouldn't be happy if Notch decided to shutdown all minecraft servers for 1 week, but I would understand nevertheless.

There are many solutions to keep a community from falling apart in these limbo phases and I question the ability of a server admin who can't manage this.

Personally, I'll be sticking with somewhat stable Beta 1.1_02 until a bukkit release can support all of the plugins we use with maybe a couple temporary exceptions. Since this is not the first time our community has done this, they've become accustomed to rolling back their client. We may not be getting new players, but keeping the existing community happy is what's most imporant to me. I'll be watching for the hMod update. If it checks out fine with my plugins I'll use it of course, but it's not a big deal because my community is more than happy playing the game they are use to and has zero issues anticipating the beta bukkit release.

I'm also running a vanilla beta 1.2 on the side if they want to check it out while they wait. Even if it's a temp box in your basement.

There's no right or wrong solution as long as your community is happy.
  18. Offline

hello2u

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Good luck guys!
    If it doesn't work out, I can wait a bit for Bukkit. Whatever happened to that ETA of Thursday?
  19. Offline

weirdbeard

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    My bad... This is the statement I was referring to but I think others were under the same impression as I: that the mod was VERY close (couple of weeks maybe) to release and that the preview would be stable (and perhaps usable) even if light on features.

I still think you folks should forge on forward with Bukkit and forget hMod. We had to wait days for hMod's update last time and things got pretty dicey on the forums. =O I don't think it can be avoided in this situation either. So, would you rather suffer for hMod and then suffer again for Bukkit or just suffer once for Bukkit? :)

I guess it all depends on how close you think you are to a stable release as to whether you should focus on a temporary update to hMod in the immediate term versus just putting all efforts into Bukkit. Do you think you are months away, weeks away, days away??

Then again, another bug fix from Notch will likely put you back in a tailspin on both projects, so... =O

Like everyone else here, I am SO looking forward to the release. Unlike most folks here, though, my users are happy with vanilla server until the mods are all updated. So, I got no worries. I am just super-enthused about this project and looking forward to seeing a fine finished product. :)

Good luck! o/
    -WB
    --- merged: Jan 14, 2011 6:19 PM ---
    I agree with you but I think the first person to say "screw hMod" was Hey0 himself. :)

I think all these hot-running emotions are precisely BECAUSE everyone loves hMod. We simply find ourselves in a pickle at the moment. :)

-WB
  20. Offline

willystylee

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I know he was, but still, it's being said by people as if it was a shitty mod, i.e. out of disrespect, whereas hey0 said "screw hmod" because he got tired of it consuming his life.

Comon' people, the guy made hmod and many would agree it essentially fixed SMP in many ways. Show a little less ungratefulness and a little more patience.
    weirdbeard likes this.
  21. Offline

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    The "preview" is stable and usable - or it was until we had to update it for the latest Minecraft update. It's currently being tested for bugs due to it, but before this... a lot of servers were using the mod just fine. We'd love to have an official preview release out, but our hands are currently tied.
  22. Offline

Nate204

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Removed.

I'd just suggest finding ways to keep your server back-ups.
  23. Offline

Kingadams

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Thank a bunch for taking time out of working on bukkit to work on hmod update :)

Im running a linux server and everyones pestering me wanting it back up : /
  24. Offline

Euthyphro

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Thank you sir!
  25. Offline

HansAnderson

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Why bother updating hmod? I doubt that the plugin writers will put the time into updating for 134(?). Further, there's already another update today and with the temporary chunk updating fix there may be another soon. Seems easier to just use the old server/client for now and wait patiently for bukkit to be completed.
  26. Offline

rustybroomhandle

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Gads, you ARE trolling, right? In case you are actually as daft as you seem, I will explain it to you. I was making a sarcastic remark at your creative spelling of "hey0" (that's how you spell it). It's only 4 characters long, I really don't know how one can get it wrong. :/
  27. Offline

dopy

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I hope to god you're Trolling dude, it's Hey0, not Hayo, and Bukkit is loads better than Hmod was.
  28. Offline

Devon L Ferree

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    I'd like it if the bukkit team would update the version number whenever they update bukkit/craftbukkit.
    Bloq likes this.
  29. Offline

TheFriskyOne

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    i have just made a minecraft server just to realize that hey0 mod is down is the bukkit craft working coz my mates wanna play but i cant promote them to admin without some kind of mod hell its boring on single player
  30. Offline

Bloq

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    Can anyone confirm if Bukkit will have the same commands? And whether it will have a proper UI (like MCAdmin)? I only really care about the commands - that's one of the main reason I installed hMod (I mean like /warp and how the /item command sends it to your inventory instead of dropping it. They can be really useful - sure there's more)
  31. Offline

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME
    My Plugins (CFCOUNT)
    Minecraft account:
    MCUSERNAME
    We'll be doing this to our builds soon.
  32. Offline

SwartKrans

dev.bukkit.org profile:
    CFUSERNAME