The State of Bukkit (as of 22/3/11)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Afforess, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EdGruberman

I sorta feel what motivated Afforess to post. I've posted in a few leaky bugs and github issues/commits as have others and I don't see responses/recognition anywhere. It may be happening, just it's not publicly displayed at least. With such an open source movement, a large supportive community, and a fast paced project like this, it's rough when you don't get some type of feedback.

It makes me wonder if there is any centralized management in the Bukkit Team and if not, is there anyone even with a sub-focus on communications that understands what everyone in the team is doing?

@TnT : You are always a great help around the forums, but I think everyone here is looking for a bit more direct dev communication.

@Grum : I don't think anyone is questioning how hard you are working. Hearing you have a major commit in the works is great. However, we are still concerned about the lack of communication regarding pulls and issues/bugs.

2. Offline

TnT

@EdGruberman
    I figured once Grum cleared things up - as I feel he has, it should answer most people's questions. A major commit could easily take a lot of dev time - and perhaps they felt it urgent enough to let some of the bug reports lapse while they work on other tasks. I definitely noticed a slow down in new builds before yesterday. Everyone will have their own subjective view on which bugs/features are important.

However, that being said, Grum has already mentioned the devs spend more time on IRC then on these forums - so if you feel a bug report is being unduly delayed - chat up the devs on the IRC. You may just be surprised at how responsive they are.

3. Offline

KoryuObihiro

@TnT No offense, man, but when you give an opinion prepare to be met with those of others.

Speaking of which, I think that given the fact nobody pays the Bukkit team, and the fruits of their effort so far, it's not unreasonable to have delays like this. However, I also agree with the posters who just want to know what's going on day to day - going for weeks at a time without seeing a new post on the front page is rather disappointing. I know that sometimes the only news are technical points that come up as Bukkit is developed, but personally I find that sort of thing interesting...though that might have something to do with having a major in Computer Engineering. :p

4. Offline

TnT

@KoryuObihiro
    I don't think I've shut down anyone's opinion, but if anyone feels I have that was not my intention.

5. Offline

KoryuObihiro

@TnT Crap, sorry, wasn't thinking when I was tagging. I meant to direct that post to @Drakia. ;_;

6. Offline

Kane

This will just going get hate on me. But I understand why the staff has given up. I think they realize working with this code is a waste of time. Downside is I don't think many of them have joined the other language groups going on nor created their own...

Minecraft is going to go any further in the development world it needs a new backend NOW.

7. Offline

txomon

I've been reading this post, and deffinetly there are some points that should (or I think it should) be threated:

- Organisation: Although dev-team are the ones that develop (obviously), there should be (group of) someone that coordinates works, communication between plugin devs, forums staff and users.
    - External Relationships: A twitter or something, so that users know day to day advance
    - Internal Relationships: Some kind of IRC for you to chat, and a mailing list, so that it gets logged

8. Offline

4am

Actually, the fact that Bukkit has been significantly improved since that meeting and is actually downloadable now without knowing how to dig an artifact out of Bamboo says to me that the meeting did not go that way.

I mean, really, what is Mojang gonna do? Cease and Desist? I'm sure we'd hear all about that, and then they'd be no Bukkit because who has time to fly in the face of that?

But it's ok, keep telling campfire stories to spooooooook us. Maybe we should all go back to hay0 or kMod or whatever it's called now. LAWL, U MAD BRO?

9. Offline

LucidLethargy

I'd just like to see less crashes... Seems like a ton of community members have only been able to get their servers to run for 4-12 hours recently. If this keeps up, I'm not sure what I will do but likely it will involve leaving bukkit or minecraft hosting. I just can't keep dealing with this when real life demands so much of my time. The idea is to check it once a day at the most, and that should be enough!

10. Offline

4am

A case; you're not making one.

I'm on 556 right now, and I have to say I've kept it running longer than I've even ever been able to keep hMod going.

Why not look into a solution that auto-reboots your server? If it takes care of itself then it shouldn't be a huge issue?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  11. Offline

Drakia

@4am Yeah, made a mistake while typing, holy shit I'm human :O

12. Offline

Xgkkp

Yes, Drakia is making a case. There are 20 pull requests, seven of which are over a month old, and apart from one, or I think two, they have only been commented on by users. That counts as ignored in my books.

13. Offline

tremor

I'm going to hope and pray that bukkit will have address some server admins issue with terrible CPU performance in these new builds... *crosses fingers*

14. Offline

TnT

@tremor
    Can you test them? As always, test without plugins and see if you get any improvement with the newer builds. Report back.

15. Offline

tremor

Sure.. the die-hard portion of my community is pretty excited that we tend to keep the server on the cutting edge.. I also administrate responsibly as well with local dev test server, extensive data backups, etc.. it'll be a few hours before I can do anything as I'm at work right now..

16. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

All? I recall my plugin for 560 still working in 592. :p Though possibly not fully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.