This is the error I get.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Sanora, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Sanora

2. Offline

TnT

Leave your server-ip= line blank.

3. Offline

1lann

Your ports are not open. I'd recommend you to use Hamachi since lots of people use it (including me) and it's much more easier and faster to setup than forwarding your port. Plus it's 100% free. Download the unmanaged version here: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/download.aspx

EDIT:
    This method is used if you would like others to join your server. If only you want to use the server, follow TnT's suggestion above.

4. Offline

Sanora

Okay, thanks it's solved.

5. Offline

TnT

Share what you did so others can learn from your experience.

@1lann
    The failed to bind to port error has nothing to do with port forwarding. However, yes, he would need to have it forwarded to work, but he never said he had problems with users connecting.

6. Offline

Sanora

I changed server.properties's ip adress to my local ip adress. Not my current.

7. Offline

TnT

While that may work, leaving it blank is how it should be configured. Your actually now bound to the local IP, and thus you will not be able to connect to it externally (may not be an issue, but why limit yourself).

Unless, of course, you have a multihomed connection. If you don't know what that is, you don't have it. 99.9% of the time it should be blank.

8. Offline

1lann

@TnT
    When you leave the server-ip field blank, does it use your external IP? Does that also allow other people to connect to my server? I never knew you were meant to leave the server-ip field blank.

9. Offline

TnT

That line binds you to a specific address you set. When you leave it blank, it doesn't bind to any one address. This means you can connect internally (192.168.x.x/10.x.x.x), or externally (your ISP provided IP).

However, if you have a few different IP addresses assigned to a server, you may want the traffic to be on a certain subnet, in which case you would indicate which IP you wanted to bind your server to.

10. Offline

Sanora

If I leave it blank, which ip the others will use to log in?

11. Offline

1lann

if possible, external.

12. Offline

TnT

Other people - unless in your own LAN, should connect to the external address.

However, if a buddy drops by, connects into your LAN, he can play via your internal server IP. Both will work for you, but someone has to be on your LAN to use the internal address.

13. Offline

mughi

If you put in your IP address, you are also screwed if your router decides to give your server a new ip address..(although that's going to cause other problems anyhow)

Like TnT said, leave it blank

14. Offline

Sanora

How can I learn my external addres? I did static-ip, so the ip used for making static-ip is my external?

15. Offline

TnT

Go to whatismyip.org.

16. Offline

Sanora

that ip of mine was different 3 days ago, are you sure i should use that?

17. Offline

TnT

That IP will change, because your ISP gives you a DHCP address. Yes, you give that out, and yes, when it changes you need to update your users on that change. Or you can use a dynamic dns service (no-ip.org, dyndns.com, etc).

18. Offline

Sanora

thanks bud, but I tried to use that ip to login my own server but I couldn't. I could login before I left the server-ip part blank.

19. Offline

TnT

What IP are you trying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.