Triggers Plugin: Make pseudo-plugins without any programming

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by adamjon858, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

adamjon858

As this isn't a plugin request or programming question but rather a bit of information on a plugin I'm going to be building soon and would like feedback on, I'm not sure if this is the right forum. Please move it if there is a better category for this.

I've had this idea for a while but I'm finally going to start work on it.

This plugin is basically going to serve as a massive API between a ton of major plugins. As of right now, I'm planning to write connectors for Heroes, PEX, iConomy, HeroChat, LogBlock, WorldGuard, Towny, Dynmap, and War. Server admins will be able to use it to create "pseudo" plugins without any programming that link the features of several plugins together.

You'd basically bind a "trigger" to a certain type of "action". Here's some examples of how I see it working:

Send a message if more than 10 people are in a region
    /trigger new firsttrigger
    /trigger firsttrigger link region mycity
    /trigger firsttrigger addcondition region playercount:10
    /action new firstaction
    /action firstaction trigger firsttrigger
    /action firstaction chat msg:"There are [playercount] people here"

Turn on redstone block if all creatures in an area are dead
    /trigger new trigger2
    /trigger trigger2 link region adungeon
    /trigger trigger2 addcondition region monstercount:0
    /action new action2
    /action action2 trigger trigger2
    /action action2 block state:enabled (used when staring at a redstone switch or something)

Give a player money for reaching Level 50 Wizard in Heroes
    /trigger new trigger3
    /trigger trigger3 link heroes class:Wizard
    /trigger trigger3 addcondition heroes reachlvl:50
    /action new action3
    /action action3 trigger trigger3
    /action action3 iconomy give 5000

Obviously this is going to require a lot of thought and careful planning to implement correctly, but I think this could be an incredibly valuable plugin for people trying to customize their server without digging into the code. Eventually, it'd be sweet if I could get developers to hook any triggers/actions their plugin has into mine rather me having to write a connector for each plugin.

Still don't see the merit?
    Consider this, you're a developer for Heroes. Some silly server admin bugs you every day to add in something that allows them to give money and items to players for certain levels they reach. Wouldn't it be nice to just allow people like that to use triggers rather than implementing features for people that don't fit in the general "scope" of the plugin you're making?

Any suggestions or features you'd like to see with a plugin like this?

2. Offline

Insanehero

I approve :p

3. Offline

Kidmeepples

whats a troll?

4. Offline

adamjon858

haha, thanks guys

5. Offline

Plague

moved

6. Hey, how is this going? =)
    Would this work with every plugin available?

7. Offline

thehutch

IMO this would take a lifetime to create :p plus everytime an update of a plugin comes out your going to have to update about 50+ plugins for your one :)

8. Offline

narrowtux

I think that this is a good idea. And it's not that hard to do @thehutch ;) just some basic classes, action and trigger, then connect a trigger to actions and add a save system, it's nearly done. Also, if other plugins update, you've not to change anything unless they change something in their API. It's like Bukkit when Craftbukkit updates, plugin authors don't have to update each time :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.