[WGEN] The Dungeonator - A Procedural Dungeon Crawl Generator [v0.0.3 Preview Now Available!]

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by Timberjaw, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Timberjaw

If you're interested in checking out a PREVIEW build of 0.0.4 and possibly building some rooms/widgets, send me a PM.

2. Offline

Timberjaw

3. Offline

doughsay

This project is amazing. I really can't wait to use it with Multiverse. I would love to design some rooms, I'll send a PM for the preview build.

4. Offline

HSAR

How possible would it be to add a few signs with hints about nearby rooms in the waystations?

5. Offline

Timberjaw

Status Update
    I've been devoting a LOT of time to the Dungeonator the past two weekends. Weekend #1 was exclusively repair work. Minecraft switched from a 128-block height limit to a variable height limit, and in doing so broke a large swath of Dungeonator's map generation functionality. I had to do a fair bit of rewriting.

Weekend #2 was dedicated to performance improvements. The new Minecraft chunk structure was causing some severe performance issues in Dungeonator. I ended up creating an on-the-fly database conversion setup that loads the SQLite database into memory at startup and saves it back to disk at shutdown. The outcome of that is a reduction of per-chunk generation time from about 200 milliseconds down to less than 50. At 200ms per chunk, if you walk in a straight line at normal speed, you'll cause 9 chunks to be generated every few seconds. The server will barely have time to finish the blocks for the last batch before the next comes up. Needless to say, it was chugging horribly. Things are much smoother now.

With all that boring (but important) junk out of the way, next weekend is all about rooms! The last task before the 0.0.4 release.

6. Offline

dak393

Great to hear you're still working on this ^^ I won't be back in town till about the 24th but I can test then (if 0.0.4 is out ;) )

7. Offline

Adondriel

Woot! Im so glad this didnt die! i'm still waiting! :D thank you so much!

8. Offline

Firefly

I haven't devoted any API knowledge to Generation but looking at your videos/pictures really makes me want to delve into it. Splendid work.

9. Offline

Adondriel

Are you a developer of bukkit? or just bukkitdev staff? as in the guy who checks the plugins?

10. Offline

Firefly

I check plugins :)

11. Offline

Adondriel

Awesome :D

make this its own generator!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.