What should I license my plugin as?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by DjFlybeat, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DjFlybeat

I'm in the process of creating a plugin and a friend told me to license it before I distribute it but I'm not sure which license should I pick.

2. Offline

Googlelover1234

DjFlybeat
    There are plenty of licenses to choose from, I personally use the GPL license, which means people are allowed to redistribute it in free files. This site might help:

http://choosealicense.com/

3. Offline

Funergy

4. Offline

DjFlybeat

5. Offline

Googlelover1234

Funergy Yes, that was what I meant, not GPL. Derp.

6. Offline

DjFlybeat

7. Offline

Funergy

DjFlybeat likes this.
  8. Offline

LokiChaos

The GPL permits modifications and derivative works.

9. Offline

Funergy

10. Offline

ROTN

No, you meant GPL, not GNU :p
    GNU = GNU's not U
    nix (Operating system)
    GPL = GNU Public License

IANAL but GPL won't do you good for this. GPL allows people to redistribute and modify. GPL is a 'Free Software' license meaning anyone can do whatever they want with your software. In your case, you'd probably just want a custom license that states something to the effect of 'You may redistribute, but not modify this software'.

Edit: You may also be interested in this. Just add any clauses you want (like 'You are not permitted to modify')

11. Offline

mythbusterma

ROTN

Don't bother, OP isn't coming back, and Funergy 's completely and utterly wrong answer is the one he got.

I'll enjoy modifying and redistributing his plugin.

ROTN likes this.
  12. Offline

Funergy

mythbusterma oh fluck
    Why does it say on the website this then?
    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE

13. Offline

mythbusterma

Funergy

I was saying that the entire point of GPL is that people can create and redistribute the work....not saying that the GPL license wasn't created by the GNU Project, which it most certainly was.

14. Offline

Funergy

mythbusterma So was I wrong with my GNU license that I gave him. because it says this
    Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

And this is what he wanted

15. Offline

mythbusterma

Can't change the license document, modification of the work however, is the spirit of the license. Do more fact checking in the future.

16. Offline

Funergy

mythbusterma :). have you seen the post I tagged you?
    if yes. thankyou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.