What to do with 'can't connect' problems (For beginners)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by vivanewvegas, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

vivanewvegas

Before i start, this tutorial will most likely only be usefull for beginners and something like this could be posted already. I was bored and made this.

So, you've made yourself a bukkit server but you (our your friends) can't connect. Try this steps first!
    Step 1, Port forwarding
    I forgot to do this to and my friends couldn't join. Bukkit uses port 25565 (if you didn't change it). Make sure that port is set 'open' on your router.
    Step 2, Firewall
    If you're running Bukkit on your PC (especially Windows) the firewall might be blocking your server from connecting to the internet. Solve this (in Windows) by going to windows firewall and create a new exception. (i don't know how it's called exactly...)
    Step 3, Minecraft SP
    Are your friends using MinecraftSP or any other free minecraft launcher? If so, you'll have to set your server to offline mode or they won't be able to connect. How to do this? Go to your Bukkit directory and open server.properties in Notepad. Set online mode to false. In linux server, use vi to edit the server.properties file.
    Step 4, Internet connection
    This might seem obvious (OK it is...) but you need internet connection. Maybe your friend, you or the server has no internet connection.

Still not able to connect? Ask the forum,
    Post a thread on the bukkit forum under Bukkit Help. Make sure you type the error the console gives you in your thread. This could help people recognise the problem.

Know that the problem doesn't have to be the server. It can also be your friend that has the problem. In that case, there is not much you can do.

2. Offline

AgentKid

Better way to post #1 is "CraftBukkit uses port 25565 by default. Make sure that port is set 'open' on your router and that it is forwarded to your computer's internal IP address." #3 would be better called 'Minecraft validation' so that people know what you're talking about without reading the role line. Other than that, though, good job! Unfortunately this thread'll get buried like all the other good help threads, or just completely disregarded by someone who thinks that they're special and that the entire universe is picking on them and they're the only one with that problem (and they therefore post a thread regardless)

3. Offline

vivanewvegas

@AgentKid
    Yeah i now, think is saw some of these treads some time ago. I made i cause i was bored and well, i saw some 'i can't connect' like threads and i got this idea. And you're right, some steps i could have called different, but i'm not a writer :)

BTW, anyone who reads this. This is NOT for Hamachi. If you follow this steps well, you shouldn't even need it!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  4. Offline

M.E.

I've done all those things, I can connect, but none of my friends can. Suggestions?

5. Offline

vivanewvegas

Mmm, are your friend using your external ip with your port after it. They should use something like this: 11.11.111.111:25565

6. Offline

IsaiahRobichaud

My Server has always been working and just now someone got disconnected by disconnect.genericReason he is the one and only....so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.