When will Bukkit be updated for Minecraft 1.6?

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

Staff Update - July 1, 2013:
    This thread is not from 2013. This thread is about the 2011, BETA version of Minecraft 1.6. There is no ETA for the 2013 Minecraft 1.6 update, as always. Please do not ask staff about when an update will happen, as they have no estimate for you. Again, this thread is not relevant to today's update.

Update 2 - June 23, 2011 at 9:12PM EST:
    New Recommended Build #928.

This Recommended Build addresses a few API issues and provides Plugin Developers with more events to work with, allowing more awesome plugins to be made. Unfortunately, this new RB WILL break some plugins (mostly plugins that deal with controlling a player's movement - details can be found near the end of this announcement). As always, please be sure to backup your server before updating just in case!

See this post for more information.

Update - May 30th, 2011 at 5:55PM EST:
    Since the release of Minecraft 1.6, we've seen quite a few rapid-fire bugfix updates from Mojang addressing issues the community has noticed and reported back on. While we're glad Mojang are on top of things and getting updates out there quickly to improve the community's experience, this does result in extra work on our part since we have to re-do some of the work we've completed for the previous update. As a result, I made the decision to hold off on getting a build out for Minecraft 1.6 until we were able to evaluate the update and decide if that is what we feel we should do or not.

Over the weekend, that is what we have been busy doing. Unfortunately, I was out of town and unable to handle the situation as much as I would have liked, leading to a lack of communication on our part with you guys, our community. Nevertheless, my team was happily and diligently working on the update and in regular contact with me. Still, I would like to apologise for our lack of communication, I simply was not in a position to do so.

That being said, we have noticed a few issues with the update that we've been able to address, so we are leaning towards bringing out a build for Minecraft 1.6.5. Though this build may not address all the issues we've found, it is still usable and produces a playable server with a decent experience. However, I am not yet sure if this build will qualify for recommendation.

Please bear this in mind when using the build: it is not fully supported (though we welcome detailed, useful bug reports) and not recommended (we can't guarantee stability) to use. There are some Minecraft vanilla issues that Mojang need to address that are beyond the scope of our project to fix and we are still touching things up (like Nether/multiworld support).

If you want to use the build we'll be pushing soon, please backup your server and make sure you understand the risks before doing so. Once again, we cannot guarantee that it won't eat your cake or spawn tiny creeper babies that take over your world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I'm sure we're all aware, Mojang released Minecraft 1.6 today (Thursday, May 26, 2011) around 5AM EST and we've been hard at work getting a build out that is compatible with Minecraft 1.6 out. Since the release, Minecraft has seen quite a few small bugfix updates addressing some unnoticed bugs and we've pretty easily kept up with them. Unfortunately, there appear to be some issues with the update that is making the game unplayable for SMP players, so we've decided to wait for a bugfix update before we recommend any builds.

Will there be a CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.6?
    Given the reports of showstopping bugs present in 1.6, there's a high chance a new bugfix update for Minecraft will be out tomorrow or even several times this week. As a result, it is unlikely we will be releasing a Recommended Build for 1.6 until we have something stable to work with.

That being said, we recommend everyone stay on 1.5 for a while until the showstopping issues are fixed and we can get a new, stable, compatible build out.

You can already get CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.6.4, but it is unsupported and not recommended.

I'll be scouring the internet for further reports on how Minecraft 1.6 is performing, but preliminary research and our own testing has revealed it as unplayable due to chunks sporadically loading or not loading.

jeussa, Azell, khamseen_air and 34 others like this.
  2. Offline

Badzilla

Notch also stated that he was not going to work on fixing the server until next week.
    That is just totally wrong!

3. Offline

Roachy

His twitter seems to be about the only way you can get an inkling of what he's doing. That said, this is a well known fact and it's kind of hypocritical to complain about not getting status updates when you don't use the resources available. Just sayin'.

Protip: You don't need a Twitter account to "use" twitter, unless you want to twat about what you did today.
    https://twitter.com/notch

4. Offline

Unscrewed

Its stable now. Not very, but better then nothing,
    We cant live without bukkit for 1 week! :p

5. Offline

ohmydoddtv

Next week?! Wow... my server host won't even let me install an unrecommended build so I'm going to have to wait...grrrrrrr

6. Offline

Raqn

Thats the thing. We have had NO WORD from them since 1.6.5 came out. We dont know if they will make a bukkit for this version or not. People aren't angry about no bukkit as most of us understand that, its the fact that they havent taken the time to tell us.

SharkWipf likes this.
  7. notch said there was annoying bed bugs for mp he was gonna fix next week, not put it all off for a week

8. Offline

ohmydoddtv

ahh sweet, I'm hoping bukkit gets a recommended build in the next 9 hours or so. Anyone want to tell me how likely that is?

9. well part of the bukkit problem was chunk loading on SMP so who knows, thats what one main thing was

10. Offline

xplosion545

Don't count on it. I hope it too but meh.

11. Offline

Badzilla

I have not updated my server yet and will not do so until there is a recomended build. I have a very stable system and have no desire to screw it up.

My point was that it is beta and so I think when bugs are reported they should be fixed asap, not wait a week.

12. Offline

troed

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Why should notch work on a Sunday (he already worked Saturday) fixing bugs people have reported but are seemingly not critical?

He also haven't stated "a week". In Sweden our week starts Monday - that's tomorrow.

13. My point was that it is beta and so I think when bugs are reported they should be fixed asap, not wait a week.[/quote]
    well today is mothers day in sweden, and notch only said he was going to fix the annoying bed bugs in SMP next week, not stop bug fixing for a week

14. Offline

darksteel88

Everyone needs to first of all, lighten up a bit. After that, here remains some facts:

1. It is a holiday, or at least an important day. I do agree with him taking it off.

2. The way he worded it, using next week, implied to many that it would be a week before he worked on it and not Monday. It would have been a little more appropriate to say Monday instead.

3. He should have seen the bugs himself in testing. We are beta testers, yes, but that doesn't mean to ship out code with fatal errors. And he states he had IRC help him bug test it right? So what were the testers doing so that they didn't notice such fatal errors?

15. Offline

Badzilla

Wrong, read the OP. They are waiting on Notch!

16. Offline

dark_hunter

Notch is going crazy with all these updates.

Yes they are, correct.

17. Offline

troed

They wrote that before 1.6.5 was released (which it was yesterday evening, on a Saturday)

18. well im gonna just chill out and wait calmly, and before someone complains about how long notch takes to do bug fixes, look at fable 3, 8 months 0 bug fixes, one can stuff up your char completly with almost zero chance recovery, be happy

jamescosten likes this.
  19. Offline

Nick Lozon

WHAT? Beta means that there is potential bugs and its not a final version. If there was a major bug in a RELEASE build, THEN you bust your ass to get bugs fixed ASAP.

20. Offline

jamescosten

Yeah or face being sued by Consumer Watchdog. Wouldn't be the first time, which is why he's hanging onto the beta tag as long as he can.

21. Offline

dark_hunter

Yes, so use what you there is now.

22. Offline

Badzilla

No, he said next week which is what I said.

23. Offline

Nick Lozon

Google hangs onto beta much longer than needed. Notch, no...not yet.

24. Offline

jamescosten

The way the community is treated, i find no problem at all your just impatient, for what a pice of paper and some wild grass....oooo wow. Dynmap is mor usefull than that slither of paper. Bukkit 803 is working fine, thats what im using, along with all the plugins i had before.

Just think im running the server just as i was a week ago. Just imagine the update doesnt come out till next week and it doesnt matter.

So stop moaning, theyre working hard to get this rectified and they do it for free.
    Have you donated to bukkit, NO well shut the F*** up then

THE END

25. Offline

troed

Ok.

26. Offline

Ryan Phox

CB 815 is working FINE with no ill effects with MC 1.6.5!
    However, for those who say that it isn't, did you consider CB plugins having issues with the latest updates?
    I had to update my SimpleSave plugin and now it works whereas it was crashing at server start up before.
    I had to remove Citizens plugin as it was crashing and it doesn't yet have a update.

I am running 21 plugins on 815 (MC 1.6.5) with no more lag then before I updated and no notice of any bugs
    after a full day of testing, WorldGuard is humming along (regions work), WorldEdit is doing fine as well.

So to sum it up, yes CB 815 is working fine with MC 1.6.5, but check your plugins as they might not be working
    with CB 815 yet.

Reader likes this.
  27. Offline

SharkWipf

I can downgrade to 803 any second. problem is, players cannot. 815 is very unstable, but this instability is fixed in 1.6.5. Our server needs to get restarted every hour or so. I don't really care if Bukkit get's an update soon or not, I just want to know if they are working on it, AKA we can expect something short-term, or if I have to take some long-term preparations (temporary vanilla server?). Problem is, we don't know anything yet. I (and many others) would just like a sign of life from Bukkit, but they fell completely silent after 1.6.5.

p.s. I find 3600 seconds of nyan-ness enough for a few weeks.

28. Offline

iHaxMatt

For those impatient jerks:

Look at the wiki's version history.
    Do you see where it says "New Bugs"
    Many of those still need to be fixed.
    So before you continue to whine about bukkit not releasing a stable build, that is the reason. Notch still has to fix bugs.

• Beds have numerous issues in SMP; players may sleep during night, but nothing will happen as the game thinks you're trying to sleep. This allows the player to sleep and walk freely at the same time. When all players are asleep, a few seconds later the game teleports you back to the bed and the normal post-sleeping effect will occur.
    • In SMP, sometimes when entering the World from the Nether, the sky will remain red.
    • If you shift click an item into a full chest, the client will not crash, but the server must be restarted to activate any further containers.
    • Shadows sometimes do not update.
    • Memory leaks.

Well the team could release a build now, or wait for notch to fix more of the bugs in an update.
    In which case they'd have to go to work again patching for the update. Now let's think here...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  29. Offline

SharkWipf

Ah, and how did you tell em? I tell em weeks before each update, but players come and go, players don't read the chat, players don't come online for a few weeks, etc.

And yes. I meant 1.5/1.6, not 1.4/1.5. my bad.

30. Offline

troed

Start by removing the "sometimes" - that means it's happened to someone but isn't readily reproducible. The issues with the beds aren't critical at all (when I tried - sleeping in SMP worked fine but I didn't get the sleep-animation).

And - the proof that you're just trolling: After "memory leaks" on the wiki is a "citation needed". That means the claim is in doubt.

In any case, 1.6.5 works just fine. I suggest you try it instead of posting bug lists you don't really understand.

31. Offline

SharkWipf

ah, well, mine come from all over the world, so that gets a little harder there eh?

Yes, that may work, unless they don't read it, or they still use the old launcher... :(

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.