Why does my CPU drop to 0% randomly?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Donny, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Donny

My cpu drops to 0% randomly.
    Here is a graph on it

[​IMG]

Plugins: BukkitCompat, xAuth, HeroChat, FirstLastSeen, KiwiAdmin, WorldEdit, OKB3, CraftBookCommon, CraftBookMechanisms, CraftBookCircuits, VanishNoPickup, EasyBan, xWarp, CommandBook, Permissions, WorldGuard, LWC, PermissionsSql, NoCheat

2. Offline

Supersam654

The only thing that comes to mind is that McMyAdmin is really dated and buggy, your server is using close to 0% CPU for a while (unlikely), or that your server is getting intermittent lag which causes nothing to happen and thus no CPU usage.

Also, nothing in your plugins list really looks like it's a problem.

Donny likes this.
  3. Offline

Donny

Thanx for the quick response.
    During these drops the server is unresponsive (only mc). If the drop lasts too long players will get read-timed out.

Also if I check "top" in console it shows 0% usage for java during these times

4. Offline

Supersam654

That really sounds like a spotty internet connection to me. If your server loses internet connection, nothing would be happening on the server (because nobody is connected to it) and if it doesn't regain connection quick enough, then users will drop.

5. Offline

Donny

It's hosted at a data center.
    I run a teamspeak and forum off the same VPS and during the cpu drop they both work fine

here is another picture , with more cpu to show the drops more dramatically.
    Any ideas?

[​IMG]

6. Offline

Supersam654

I would ask your VPS about it and suggest reinstalling Java. It doesn't really seem like a Minecraft or a Bukkit problem.

7. Offline

PhonicUK

McMyAdmins last update was only a week or so ago, how on earth can you call it dated?

The dropping to 0% CPU usage is usually caused by swap trashing, the IO delays mean the Minecraft server has nothing to do, so it just stalls. You may want to try reducing the amount of RAM dedicated to the minecraft server - or using more aggressive garbage collection.

8. Offline

Supersam654

The dated part was mainly directed at the McMyAdmin permission...."helper system" if you will. This is where I got the term buggy from because it just never worked. It was as if there were 2 permissions systems, whatever I had installed, and MCMyAdmin. McMyAdmin didn't just extract the data from my permissions files and display them with a GUI, it was just running its own permissions system. Also, I call it dated because the only thing I have heard of that works with the McMyAdmin permission system is GroupManager whoever I cannot confirm or deny this.

9. Offline

PhonicUK

You need a bit of a refresher then ;) McMyAdmins permissions exporter works with GroupManager, Permissions 3.x and PermissionsBukkit (which also includes support for mChat) - These days all the exporters work very well, except for a minor issue handling 'default' groups and issues with people not reading the information about PermissionsBukkit/Bridge (Adding * as a permission then complaining that MCMA doesn't work is the most common right now)

10. Offline

Sh8kezula

Lawl..

Documentation nightmare 101.

If only there was a way to create tutorials with 3 word sentences.. So everyone that doesn't know how to read can get the information...

Here is my new SuperPerms tutorial.

permissionsBukkit how to:

1. Get Permissions Bridge!

2. .* Nodes are Bad

3. Don't use *'s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.