Wool War mod request

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Statharas, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Offline

CrossBread216

@Statharas , so would it be ok if a player directly "mines" a piece of wool? That way the teams can dig trenches/bunkers too. I'm not sure how the cannons work or what events they use. If you don't want any wool destroyed ever, then we probably only need one layer of wool that would be treated like bedrock.

I don't think 10 layers down would lag that bad. At the moment, sometimes 90+ blocks down were being replaced. We could probably go to 20. Right now, I've only experimented with 10 x 10 patches because I didn't have the reclaim command nailed down yet. We'll definitely need to find a few people willing to log in to a test world at some point to see what the load is like sending blocks to several people instead of just me.

BTW, how big on average would you say you want the arena to be? 100 x 100, 1000 x 1000, larger? We can test to find out how many blocks total the server can handle and scale the depth based on the XZ plane area and then put bedrock underneath.

2. Uhm, the size of maps is 1600x1600 blocks, right?

I like the whole trenches idea. 10 wool down would be cool. With the last layer indestructible if possible.

Also, now that i mentioned maps, is it possible to change what is being displayed on the maps?

3. Offline

CrossBread216

I'm actually not familiar with the maps, but 1600 x 1600 x 11 (one layer of bedrock) is 28 million blocks. I haven't tested something that big, but we'll see how well it works and go from there.

[EDIT] I did however test a 100 x 100 x 64, so 640k blocks, with one other person logged in. It caused her to be dropped from the server. I may need to rethink the method of setting up an arena. Ideas in post to follow.

I have no idea, I'll have to look in to that. What would you be wanting to display?

I have two ideas off the top of my head that could work.

1. I can fragment the area that makes up the arena and update them spaced a few seconds apart instead of all at once. 1600 x 1600 x 1 is still over 2 million, so I think I would also need to only have wool on the top layer and then immediately spawn wool for all blocks adjacent to any wool block that is destroyed in the arena bounds. (eliminates need for layer of bedrock)
    2. We could alter the game dynamic and have the players have to "grow" the arena. Using a wool block on a patch of dirt that has been plowed with the hoe would "plant" the wool and cause that block and the blocks around it to become wool. Higher grades of hoes could result in larger patches of wool that spawn. 3x3 for stone, 4x4 for iron, etc. Once the wool was grown, it could still be captured in the same way.
    #2 Above would significantly change the game from what you were originally talking about @Statharas . Which of these directions do you think will lead to more fun and the game play you are looking for?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  4. Wait, the problem was because there was a massive update, right? So in fact, we need to increase the time it takes for the server to set them up. Or we could make them generate when the server starts.

5. Offline

CrossBread216

I hadn't considered that. I assumed you would want to be able to create arenas while the server was running. On the scale you're thinking of, it would be a lot easier to create it on start up based on a config file. Would that be fine to have to restart the server any time you want a new area?

Also, how much do you care about being able to "reclaim" and area and restore all of what was replaced by wool when the arena spawned? It's useful during testing, but maybe you're fine with a permanent wool patch.

Also, sorry I haven't uploaded anything to test. The last change I made before bed broke wool changing color and I didn't have time to find the bug. It's hard to test when nothing actually changes...

6. Offline

dak393

Hey when ever you need a tester just mention me (@dak393) I don't really think you need to generate wool very far down. What will happen if a player generating wool walks down a very deep tunnel? Will there be a cut off depth? Maybe have a depth that the wool generates to and just generate bedrock under that. O and I think have players only modify a 3x3x1 area will work great as when you dig down you will be updating the wool anyways.

7. Well, i can use worldedit to restore an area. So there's no problem with that.

And with that 3x3x1 thingy, no, i don't like the idea. Being close to the wool should update all the wool in the same XZ. Since only 1 will get you money.

Also, we are now using iConomy.

8. Offline

CrossBread216

Sweet, then I won't worry about it much past a testing tool. (So my whole world isn't wool by the time I'm done.)

I guess I see your point. Right now I only update 3x3x1 because wool still spawns to the bedrock and every step would change ~200 blocks. What I would consider though is that someone could build a high walkway out of wool in the arena, walk along it, and then they would steal all the wool 50 blocks below or whatever. It also mean a lot of blocks could be changing rapidly when players are near each other. I kind of like that a player needs to spend the time climbing a cliff to get all the wool converted instead of just walking up to the base and getting +3 for the blocks on top. Food for thought. Side note, I did code it so that you have to be standing, or at least not moving vertically to capture wool. This means you can't fall from a ledge and capture everything on your way to your death.

Also worth noting. Do NOT light your arena on fire. X_X I can make it so wool does not burn inside the arena if you want.

There are several new features and @dak393 might be able to help test them:

New Features: (Some old revised ones)
    • Wool is now captured in a 3x3 grid centered on the player.
    • Arena boundaries can be defined [EDIT] I've been testing 12 x 12, once at 100 x 100 so no guarantees on anything larger. 1600 x 1600 will very possibly crash your server/boot players under the current implementation.
      • /ww arena <X> <Z> will create an arena with boundaries from the player's current position extending X blocks in the x direction and Z blocks in the z direction with y = 0 and y = 127 as vertical bounds.
      • /ww arena <Xstart> <Zstart> <Xend> <Zend> same as above, but replace the player's position with start X and Z
    • /ww arena spawn will add the wool once you have the boundaries set
    • /ww arena reclaim will restore the previous materials replaced by the wool
    • There is a hard coded white list for spawning, so natural minerals, water, lava, trees, etc. are not replaced.
    • /ww join <color> will add you to a team
    • /ww capture <on | off> will allow you to capture wool if on a team
    • /ww team clear will remove you from any team.
    • The /ww woolspawn command has been removed
    Planned Features: (Just to let you know a few TODOs)
    • Amount of wool captured translates to team points
    • Team points are displayed on a sign if possible
    • Every 1/2 hr team points are converted to $$
    • Integrate with iConomy system
    • Players may only build on wool they have captured
    • Possibly change wool in full column when wool changes
    • Place bedrock under wool, or make bottom layer indestructible
    • Make all configuration possible through config file
    • Make wool fire proof in the arena
    • Restrict certain commands to configurable players
    • Possibly require admin/team captain to /ww invite <player> before player can /ww join <color>
    Let me know what bugs, suggestions, etc. you have. Thanks!

Also, should this thread be moved to the "Works in Progress" thread here since it is now "in progress" and not just a request? If that is actually possible.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  9. I found a bug already :D! Water doesn't get replaced by wool... Maybe it has something to do with ice.

Heh, more bugs. Gravel doesn't get removed either, and the spawn on Y is huge. Make it like 10. And i haven't found bedrock yet. You could make the last layer unbreakable.

I think that's all for now.

10. Offline

dak393

Not a glitch its how its programed for now I'm sure it will be in a config soon so you can alter the whitelist :)
    And as both a gameplay and server stress related issue I'm still thinking that players should just spawn wool 1 block below them (you could do 2 but I wouldn't go much further than that) because with a decent server say 20 people on all running around generating wool (Is it still on player move? That event gets called A LOT) you could be changing upwards of 180 blocks per tick and then you have players running next to each other causing the colors to swap between. You just have to keep all that in mind when thinking about how you want wool generated. When wool is first spawned there should be no problem generating it however deep you want (Could run the spawn program so that it generates per chunk and runs fron the top down ignoring air (and other stuff like grass) and goes down to what ever depth you want then places bedrock :) )

O btw just make a new wip thread (so yes) :D

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  11. Offline

CrossBread216

Ok, new discussion for this plugin should be continued in the WIP section on this thread.