-

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Deleted user, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Deleted user

-

Onlineids
    Was there anything you found bad?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2022
  2. Offline

Onlineids

3. Offline

malandrix_bunny

4. Offline

Onlineids

malandrix_bunny [​IMG]

zombiekiller753 My favorite part is that you didn't start with bukkit and first taught java, god bless you.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  5. Offline

theguynextdoor

I feel your definition of 'private', could have been made simpler. You said that it means 'only you can access it'. Well, does that just mean me as a programmer? Does that mean I could access it anywhere in my program? In my opinion you should have simply stated, 'private variables can only be accessed in the class they are defined in'.

You would use private static, when you want a variable to only be accessed statically via a method (a getter). This is often done when using singletons, where the instance is private static, and then it is accessed via a method.

Also, instead of saying you can't change the size of arrays 'because that's not how it works'. Indeed it isn't how it works, but that doesn't tell me why. You could just give the idea of a static data structure, (and dabble in the idea of dynamic data structures).

I don't know necessarily what your aim was when it comes to what you wanted to cover. You did some variables, assuming they know what a String was and what an int was. You explained keywords, yet you included non access modifiers in your list of 'keywords' (If it was meant to be a list of access modifiers, then it should not have contained final and you should have also mentioned the idea of no access modifier, and if it wasn't, then you included few keywords).

You explained the use of statics, but not when to use them. When explaining statics you should have said about local variables, global variables and class variables. From only what you explained in this video, this is what gives people the misconception that statics are for convenience.

When explaining about OOP, you said how for those who already know OOP that you know what it is and are simply explaining it in a simple manner (As such to defend yourself if it was incorrect) (Do correct me if i'm wrong on this point), but that just tells me that you are not confident in either 1) Your description, in that you know there are flaws; or 2) Your own knowledge of OOP, and this was a way to just cover yourself. Either way, don't include this kind of defence in your videos. Either think about descriptions and know they are right, or just accept the criticism when it arrives (Assuming it is correct and generally constructive criticism).

You chose to start with Java before going onto bukkit plugins. This has it's pros and its cons. The pros: People should understand better these concepts when you use them; A lot of people don't like looking at separate tutorials on separate channels (They hardly seem to like watching tutorials based around learning java at all). The cons however: You did not cover sufficient java knowledge to be able to say 'I taught java before bukkit'. You did not go through the idea of constructors, or dynamic data structures, or polymorphism, inheritance, etc. You went over data encapsulation a bit however it would have been worth a mention to actually say 'data encapsulation' and give a simple definition and example of what it is. I'm also concerned how you didn't cover constructors, and that you did cover statics .... I hope I don't need to explain my cause for concern.

6. Offline

Deleted user

theguynextdoor
    Thank you for the considerate comment (Really. I'm not being sarcastic at all)

You're definitely right in your concerns, and I think I'll make a follow up video to explain all that other stuff.

I tried too hard to fit everything into a 20 minute video I guess :p

7. Offline

Scullyking

Yup. With coding tutorials so common on Youtube, you really have to offer either a unique teaching style or really niche tutorials for a specific subject. Personally I think people should stop making Java tutorials as long as this guy's series is still up to date.

Also, for the video duration thing, shorter videos that explain one small concept is better than a bigger video because:
    a) Youtube attention span statistics will show most viewers tune out after about 5 minutes.
    b) It's much easier to find out how to do a certain thing (say Bob forgot how to do for loops).
    c) Comments asking for help are easier to handle.

Skyost likes this.
  8. Offline

qlimax5000

Scullyking
    Unrelated
    Ugh, I don't like your profile picture... It reminds me of the show and makes me sad that it's over.
    Curse you, blessed one.

CorrieKay likes this.
  9. Offline

Deleted user

Let's try this again. Now it'll be 5-min long (approximately) Java tutorial videos.

Bukkit will be another series instead of being merged into one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.