YourJobs : Economy based on Crafting

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by DreamingDwarfLord, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hello,

This is a request for a LARGE mod.
    In a sense, I am asking that someone create a mod similar to Jobs, but much more complexe and realistic.

This mod is based on an economic concept for a RolePlay server with 23 jobs that range from Guard to Grave-Digger/Undertaker. We have problems with people buying raw materials and crafting themselves rather than buying crafted items.

This request is the solution I found... and it would create SO much more !

The basic idea :
    • People can be given a Job, which comes with a title and iConomy functionalities.
    • A job can have you earn/loose money by : Killing a Mob, Breaking a Block, Putting a Block, Crafting an item.
    • As someone earns money, he earns XP aswell and can gain Job Levels (from 1 to 100)
    • All crafts are given a % of chances to fail, a % of chances to succeed and a % of chances to randomly give back some of the materials used (never 0).
    • Jobs can affect the speed of tools (with a bonus of up to X%) depending on your level.
    • Jobs can affect the amount of money you receive depending on your level.
    • Jobs can affect the different crafting % depending on your level.
    • Titles can be set to specific levels in a Job.
    • Each player can have multiple jobs (Job name becomes Job1-Job2-Job3).
    • An Evolution/2nd Job unlock system would allow multiple choices at a given level. (see third message in thread)
    Before getting into specifics of how I would like to see this done, if it CAN be done, here are some examples of why YourJobs would just... work !

Currently, if a Miner can sell raw minerals ans stones, a Forge Master can sell refined stones and minerals and a Blacksmith can sell metallic/stone weapons and armor, this happens :
    The Miner sells iron ore at 20x/u (x is money).
    The Forge Master has to sell his molten iron at 18x/u, and he then has to mine for himself to gain money.
    The Blacksmith has to sell an iron helm at 80x (16x/u), and has to mine and refine for himself to gain money.
    Why not just all be Miners and Lumberjacks ?
    Well now only the Blacksmith has a 80-99% chance of successfully crafting your helm ! (depending on his level)

If this can be done, I think having a system very similar to Jobs would be best. The money you earn/loose should be automatically sent to your iConomy balance, even with crafting. The fail(-)/succeed(+)/regain(=) % factors should depend on a simple formula : for each block/item type there is a base % (40+,20=,40- for example) and, for a specific job, a lvl 1% (60+,25=,40-) and a lvl 100% (98+,1=,1-), this creates a linear function.
    If you understand this, then I guess you should be able to create this mod without my explaining...

I hope this will get worked on seriously and by someone who knows how to create light mods. I say this because a mod so complexe often gets heavy on the remote server.

Thank you for reading and, hopefully, considering my request.

2. Offline

MCP223

Now this is EXACTLY what my server needs !
    I guess the calibrating part will be even more messy than Jobs (2h to configure 8 jobs XD), but it should be worth it.

And if I might, wouldn't it bee cool to directly integrate a shop system like LocalShops into this ?
    What I mean is that by combining the two, you could have pre-configured shops that can be created where only the goods linked to a profession can be sold !
    Now imagine combining this with RegionMarket to make it so that when a Miner buys a Woodcutter's sawmill, the shop automatically changes to allow the sale of mining goods, not wood/plants !

Hope I'm clear !

3. Just a quick edit (I will change this in the original post aswell) :
    An interesting function could be added :
    Imagine that at a certain level you get the permission to choose a second job ? Well wouldn't it be cool if you actually get a choice between multiple "Job Evolutions" ?
    So a miner hits lvl 50, he gets a message that says : You can now choose between becoming a Blacksmith (weapons and armors), a Smelter (refined metals, stones and soils) or a Stone-Cutter (objects made from stone blocks).
    The miner gets 1 of the three and no other.
    He then as 2 jobs (this would be the only way to get 2 jobs) and would get the advantages of both.

In a way, this is a Job Evolution/Second Job unlock function =).

@MCP223, I think that this would be too complicated... just working with the three mods and a bit of administering should be fine.

4. Offline

Ross Gosling

So you basically want MCMMO and Jobs combined and by the way the the majority of those features you request are already in Jobs and crafting is going to be in a update soon

5. Well, I know Jobs has most of this... If you look well, in the list, all "new" things are in brown.

MCMMO ? *Runs to the library to read about it* I guess I will have to check it out.

Hopefully this would work... if it doesn't, I still ask of any willing soul to create a "mod" for Jobs then...
    And if people like it, who knows, maybe it'll be integrated to the main mod ?

If I ask this, it's because Jobs is perfect... but without restricting the usage of tools and handicaping members, it just can't reach a real complexity.
    I want a RolePlay server and our admins promote Economy... so I tried to find the best possible combination of both.

If what you say is right, this IS possible... so why not do it ? =)

6. Offline

flametornado

Ever looked at levelcraft?

That does the limiting you are looking for.

7. Hum.... I really would prefer something that does what I suggested... having to install... at least 3 or 4 mods from what I've gathered is a bit much... Not only will the server suffer from it, but there will be countless unused functions !
    And combining Jobs with LevelCraft might get strange, no ?

8. Up !

Ok, Ups are bad... I know, but I really want this plugin for my server... and we tried combining other mods... It didn't end up well.

9. What is better for an epic UP than another request ? =)

This is all linked to the same economic problem... so I allow myself to put it in here ;) .

You might know that certain mods reintroduce cocoa beans, apples and golden apples as drops from leaves and other things.
    Since shears are new (and work as great clippers =) I would like to request this :
    1) The drop rate of saplings from trees with or without shears is to be modified to something close to 1 per "medium" tree.
    2) Cocoa beans should drop at a 10% rate or so from oak trees when using shears.
    3) Apples should drop at a 9% rate or so from birch trees when using shears and golden apples at a 1% rate or so.
    4) When using shears and one of these items is not dropped, leaf blocks should be dropped some... 30% of the time ?

The whole idea is to have something kind of realistic and avoid our current problem : Trees drop something like 30 cocoa beans, 20 apples and 5 golden apples sometimes... food is worth nothing now and everyone's throwing away their cocoa beans... This messes up the economy bad :/

10. Offline

Scriblon

All right, I have been tinkering on a similar idea. But this could work fine with it.
    I haven't started yet, I am still gathering ideas and getting to know the API of bukkit. This would also be my first big mod. So I might hit a few obstacles on the way.
    But in my idea I am not restricting the user to craft only certain items. I want to add certain items only that job can use.
    Like the blacksmith can use an anvil to create modified picks. Added durability or damage
    Miners can use crushers to make dust, this can be used by the blacksmith to enhance weapons.
    Archers can craft/use elemental arrows, might be able to sell them too.
    And so on.

What I could add to this is that everyone can create items that are available (the vanilla items) but the profession has a larger success rate at their 'items'. Extreme example: 80% in profession low lvl, 40% outside.

I'm am just dropping in because I really like the idea. But keep in mind that I am new to modding and don't know the limitations of bukkit yet.

Greetz,
    Scriblon

11. Offline

Scriblon

Update
    Because I underestimated the amount of work that my idea for a plugin requires (as I always tend to do :) ). I am now limiting to a few aspects and try to move up from there. The first aspect is the chance of crafting.

On moment of typing I am figuring out how to filter out craft events from other item spawn events. Next step is to see how permissions/groups/api of Jobs work and how to call/check them.

I will keep you updated.

12. Offline

Scriblon

Update
    The code seems to work, but somehow I can't get the punishment right. Some bug/glitch seems not to update the itemStack inside the cursor properly: although in the GUI the cursor is empty, but after clicking on an item inside your inventory will replace the clicked item with the presumably deleted item.
    I am trying to figure this out.
    Even so, I made a thread: ChanceCraft
    Added reference to this post as it's origin.