64bit Java vs. 32bit Java

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ionbasa, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ionbasa

As the title implies, I wanted to get some feedback from users of Bukkit on whether or not the java version makes a difference.

I just started using Bukkit with 64 bit Java and my .bat file looks like the following:
    Code:
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms2000M -Xmx2000M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    I have noticed that now there seems to be less lag. Anyone have a similar experience?

Encase anyone is wanting to try it, the 64 bit java version can be found here:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Note that an x64 CPU and OS are required for this to work.

2. Offline

Espionage724

I've never used 32-bit java on a x64 OS so I can't say anything bad about x64 Java on x64 OS (related to Bukkit I mean).

3. Offline

ionbasa

Okay, I was running it on 32 bit java up until today because I was not able to find solid documentation about compatibility, but seeing that it runs much smother it would be a plus to include this sort of information in the wiki.

4. Offline

InhumanSkills

Ok soooooooo I'll make it short

64bit Java can handle more RAM than 32bit, BUT I can see that you only dedicated 2000M which is not quite 2GB since Java only reads in whole GB increments, change it to 2048M or any other multiple of 1024, exe 3072M or like me 12288M =P.

Second 64bit Java is much more "smooth" when running a server than 32bit is.

Overall 64bit > 32bit by a longshot.

Ps click Ctrl+Shift+Esc, open the processes tab, rightclick java.exe and set the "Priority" to "Real Time" this will make the server faster by setting the priority of the server above other programs such as FireFox. If it won't change to "Real Time" click "show processes from all users" and try again.

Happy Crafting!!!

Let me know if you need more help. Feel free to message me.

5. Offline

ionbasa

thank you for letting me know about the whole increments, Also would it be possible to set the Memory used to 2.5GB?

6. Offline

InhumanSkills

It would be a waste to set it to that since it would only use 2GB just set it to 2048M unless you plan on having more than 20 people on your server at a time, then you will need more ram and a better internet connection. LOL

7. Offline

ionbasa

Okay, right now its just a few of my friends and family that play, so I should be ok with 2gb. Also one more thing I want to point out, yesterday, me and three of my friends got on to play(for the first time) and it would sometimes lag with 32 bit java and 1Gb of memory.

8. Offline

InhumanSkills

9. Offline

agafaba

I found 64bit > 32 bit myself, But I also found that Java 7 worked better then Java 6. Another idea you might want to look into.

10. Offline

Espionage724

Theres a java 7? (goes into immediate searching)

Edit: Think I found it :p http://download.java.net/jdk7/

11. Offline

mindless728

since i want to make sure i was getting 2GB+ for my server, it was 64bit from day one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.