How do I update my Minecraft server and keep bukkit working?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Eccentric Warmonger, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The title basically explains my question, how do I update my MC server and keep bukkit running?

Thanks.

2. Offline

nickjyc

You can't. Wait patiently for bukkit updates.

3. well how do I update mc to the new version?

4. Offline

Plague

You actually want to downgrade if you want to keep playing with bukkit.

Updating the minecraft only is just a matter of downloading it from the website and running it.

5. Offline

nickjyc

To update the client, download it on minecraft.net.

To update bukkit, WAIT.

6. I run a community server, should I tell my people to roll minecraft back so I can keep running bukkit?

7. Offline

Plague

That is the best solution right now for keeping bukkit.

8. Offline

lilfiend

depends on how many players you have, if you have 15 or less you can help them get a hold of an old minecraft.jar (at least for the ones that updated) but if your running 20 people + i would throw it over to vanilla, as long as your server isnt relying on plugins so heavily that it wont run for a few days without them.

9. Offline

nickjyc

10. We are under 20, I don't know exactly how many on a regular basis. As a community leader, this is why I hate updates. Updates break things.

11. Offline

MrTrousers

Breakage will be far less once we have an official mod API.

12. That is very true.
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 1:31 AM ---
    So I downloaded the newest minecraft_server.jar file, uploaded it, set the command start line to point to it, but now it won't connect. Times out. Arg.

13. Offline

Plague

That's strange if you run craftbukkit previously. If not it's firewall, if you did check the ip in settings.

14. Sorry Plague, it was the hosting company. They took the server down to update it without telling me.

15. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

im confused so to make ur surver run beta 1.3 you just wait for a build that has 1.3 in it or do you have to download somthing and where do you put it iv had a surver for a week and havent run into having to update yet and it says theres a new save file configuration how do i convert my survers world. right now im still running beta 1.2_01 and i can still join (i didnt upgrade) the friends i know personlly on my surver cant join cus they upgraded and cant join even when i told them not to and to downgrade and how to do it via email. >_< so how to i upgrade the minecraft version that my surver hosts.

16. Offline

Plague

If you stay on 1.2 you don't have to convert your world. If you upgrade to 1.3 it will be converted automatically.

If you'll update to 1.3 bukkit and plugins will not work!

You update by downloading the new server from minecraft.net, but it is not bukkit, that will come later.

17. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

but where so u put it and i want to upgrade to 1.3 eventully my players want beds :O

18. Offline

Plague

in the place where you put craftbukkit, but you run minecraft_server.jar instead.

Don't worry eventually everything will be updated.

19. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

wierd i dotn have one there now
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 2:14 AM ---
    so i want to put the minecraft surver.jar in the main folder where the craftbukkit file is and where the start batch file is

20. Offline

Plague

exactly

21. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

so how has my surver been running smoothly for the one week its been up without one there O.0

22. Offline

Plague

Craftbukkit has minecraft_server inside.

23. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

anyway thanks for help all the other threads( or there was but i onbly looked liek 2 minutes and this onyl one that looked close to my question) told me there is no beta 1.3 but didnt tell me how to upgrade once there is one
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 2:18 AM ---
    if it has it inside then why i need to downlod it then that was the confusing part :O

24. Offline

Plague

Wait this whyt we discussed is how to upgrade 1.3 without bukkit you know. When bukkit is ready for 1.3 you'll need only the new bukkit, not minecraft_Server.

25. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

if newer cb builds have newer minecraft versions inside them why downlod minecraft surver.jar cus bukkit wont be compatible unless it already has it inside which makes no point to download it
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 2:22 AM ---
    oh ok thnx now i know how to upgrade to 1.3 beta when cb is ready for now il just run old version (if anyone is smart enoguh to donwgrade)
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 2:24 AM ---
    all in need to do to upgrade to 1.3 with bukkit is to wait for bukkit ot be compatible and download a new build with 1.3 beta in it is what i understand :D

26. Offline

Plague

Now we're on the same wavelength :)

27. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

k tnx
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 2:58 AM ---
    coooooool 1.3 betaa out and convering map now :D
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 2:59 AM ---
    62% :O thank u cb for updating so fast i love u :D

28. Offline

shadrxninga

29. Offline

xXBlacksmithXx

it keeps saying comverted 100% over and over :O
    --- merged: Feb 23, 2011 3:01 AM ---
    wait finnyl done :D yaya only level craft is broken (and it already was :D)

30. Offline

travis812

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.