Solved HOW/Where should i learn java

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Pompy5686, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Pompy5686

Hey all! I wanted to learn how to code plugins for a while so i finanly decided to do it. I went to TheBCbroz ( first Vid over 2 years old). first vid on MC Plugin tutorial. I watched there first vid atleast 2-3 times. I didnt really get it. When i actually followed step by step on eclipse it didnt work when i ran the plugin on my server. So i dont really know what to do now. I have no experience in java or i dont know the basics. Does anyone know any other youtubers/ or ways to learn java? I think (my opinion) i should learn java first then go to MC plugins. But Hope someone can help me out!! :D

2. Offline

CraftCreeper6

You must learn normal Java before moving strait to plugins. At least that's what I did. I watched: and I suggest these videos.

3. Offline

1Rogue

4. Offline

The_Doctor_123

5. Offline

Pompy5686

Hey thanks for your guys repsond! I found this website http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=31 (tell me what you think? ) i think its good. I watched his first 4 vids. He easily explains it well. So i think im gonna stay with him. After i watch atleast all his vids ill start to learn how to code plugins. Thanks for your guys help!

EDIT: Ill also prob get a java book (Found from thedoctors post) and help me learn to. If i dont get the vid!!

6. Offline

The_Doctor_123

Pompy5686
    Glad to hear you're off to a good start! Happy coding. :)

Pompy5686 likes this.
  7. Offline

Garris0n

8. Offline

Pompy5686

Thanks! I appreciate all your replys ;D

Also out of all the books of java what u think is the best for beginners? But with also cheap price.

9. Offline

phildachil

TheNewBoston really helped me out a lot.

10. Offline

Alshain01

Lol, I didn't. In fact I still couldn't tell you how to make a stand alone java app.

11. Offline

_Filip

Alshain01
    Just curious, but do you understand concepts such as reflection?
    I personally learned java before I learned to make bukkit plugins, so it'd be interesting to see how others learned it too.

12. Offline

Niknea

Read dem books.

13. Offline

Alshain01

Yes, but keep in mind, when I started Java programming for Bukkit plugins I already had 10 years C, C++, and C# experience. The practical knowledge was pretty transferable, just new syntax.

14. Offline

mazentheamazin

15. Offline

_Filip

Alshain01
    Thanks, I understand.
    Java was my first OOP language, and I'm curious whether I should learn C# and C++.

16. Offline

Alshain01

C++ and C# will be valuable tools if you want to get into the end user business application development. Companies are always looking for .NET developers. Of course things change fast, and I don't know how old you are or how long before you enter the workforce. C is near death IMO, but can still be found in embedded products that need maintenance. It's also still used for devices where power is an issue, such as solar powered devices since C++ enabled still consume a lot of memory (relatively speaking), those memory chips have to be powered.

17. Offline

Pompy5686

Thanks for all your guys help!!

18. Offline

idontcare1025

Stop. Just stop making Bukkit plugins right now.

19. Offline

Europia79

Pompy5686

TheNewBoston goes kinda slow for me... if you can handle a pace that slow, you could also check out Standford Univserity:

My personal favorite is Derek Banas:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRXb5dUK4cvsHbx-rGzSgw

The playlist above skips installing the JDK and Eclipse, but i think there's one on his channel if you want it. Derek Banas goes SUPER FAST !!!

Also, there's ApplijuzeProgramming
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AppljuzeProgramming

His last video was published on Feb 7th... so they're up to date.

20. Offline

Alshain01

Why? Just because I've never made a standalone java app doesn't mean I don't know how to program. You can ask just about anyone on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.