java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Techy4198, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Techy4198

ok i get this error a lot on my server after a /reload, but it only occurs when using my plugin. any info about what could be causing this? also another question, will the onDisable() and onEnable() methods run when the server is reloaded?

2. Offline

MarianDCrafter

Yes, onEnable() and onDisable() run when the server reloads.

3. Offline

Webster56

Tell us where this happens in the code of your plugin ;)

4. Offline

Chinwe

Does this happen the first time you reload and enable your plugin, or after many reloads?
    Reloads can cause memory leaks, so after many it can cause your server to crash with this error: try restarting the server ;)

5. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

You probably have memory leaks.

Or your server has very little ram, not enough needed

6. Offline

Techy4198

Webster56 it seemed to start happening after i implemented water pistols, which make heavy use of metadata. metadata is probably the problem.
    Chinwe only after several reloads.
    TheGreenGamerHD i don't know much about memory leaks but i assume it is something about not properly discarding variables and just leaving them in memory to cause problems. and i have plenty of ram in my pc, 6GB (quite good for a laptop) so can you tell me, how do i specify how much memory is allocated to the server? is it the -Xmx####M line in the .bat that starts it?

actually i have this line in my .bat:
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx2048M -jar "%~dp0craftbukkit.jar"
    what part must i change? the -Xms part or the -Xmx part? also can you tell me what each one does?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  7. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

I run my server with 1/2gb of ram, works just fine for dev purposes.

You need to upload your code to github or pastebin and we can help look it over.

8. Offline

Chinwe

Techy4198
    Is this the water pistol plugin that loops through all players every tick and sprays item drops if they're sneaking? It's quite intensive :oops:

9. do you have other plugins that your own plugins installed? try removing them and see if it happens again

EDIT: you can analyze a memory dump of your server to see if its caused by your plugin

10. Offline

Webster56

Ain't there something that tells you which line in your plugin the Error happens ?

11. a out of memory error is like a stolen car, you know it has happened, but you don't know who did it.

hawkfalcon, Seadragon91 and dillyg10 like this.
  12. Offline

Techy4198

Chinwe yes thats the one, but like i said, it's not intensive at all. if it is a water pistol jet entity, it doesnt hang around for long. if it isn't, it runs none of the check code after that.

13. Offline

blablubbabc

I think to remember, that "PermGen" space is something else than "heap space". So it's not a problem with how many ram you have allocated to java heap space via xms / xmx, but with your jvm's internal space where it saves the class files etc. (I think) So it's more likly an issue with loading/unloading of plugins and especially their class files by the plugin class loader -thing. Something like that. Here is an article I found about what it is: http://plumbr.eu/blog/what-is-a-permgen-leak

However, if you wish to higher the perm gen space, you can use this argument: -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

14. Offline

Techy4198

blablubbabc i found something important on that page:
    which reminded me, even though that is about threads, and i do not create any threads, i do not terminate my scheduled sync repeating tasks in the onDisable() method. how do i do so?

15. Techy4198 This should do the trick. getServer().getScheduler().cancelTasks(plugin);

16. Offline

Techy4198

would it be a bad idea to impement server-wide task cancelling for all plugins?
    Code:
            for(Plugin pluginToCancel : Bukkit.getPluginManager().getPlugins())
            getServer().getScheduler().cancelTasks(pluginToCancel);

17. Offline

blablubbabc

Yes it would

18. Offline

Techy4198

more info? i do not really see the problem

19. Offline

blablubbabc

You will very likly cancle an important task of other plugins. These plugins should cancle their tasks by their own if necesarry, because they know best when and how to cancle them.

20. Offline

Techy4198

no i mean when the server is reloaded or shut down, when all the plugins are unloaded anyway

21. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

Terrible idea.

The issue is most likely your own plugin, you need to optimize it.

22. Offline

Techy4198

how would i go about optimizing a plugin with so many features lol. and what do you mean by optimize? make the code more efficient? in what way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.