Port Forwarding Problems with Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by paecific.jr, Feb 22, 2014.

?

Which AC Router Would You Want?

1. Netgear Nighthawk

50.0%
  2. Asus AC68U

50.0%
  3. WRT-1900AC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

paecific.jr

I just got what I thought was the "Best" Wi-Fi router. My opinion, if you want to edit the setting at all - don't get it. Anyways, my problem is that I can't get my forwarded ports to become open! I can access the server locally using its internal ip address but once I try to access the external it doesn't. Does anybody have experience with the Nighhawk or Netgear Genie for that matter? I need some serious help.

Thanks,
    Paecific Jr.

2. Offline

seriosbrad

You can't connect to your external IP yourself, this is normal behavior. You'll need to use your internal IP or "localhost" if you are hosting from the same PC. Have someone outside of your local network try to connect to your external IP.

Also, there is nothing wrong with it's configuration, you just need to get used to it.

3. Offline

paecific.jr

But that is how I used to have it set up on my old E3000. I could use my external ip everywhere.

4. Offline

seriosbrad

The E3000 supported NAT Loopback, the R7000 does not appear to have this feature without flashing custom Firmware (DD-WRT, for example). That is another subject on it's own, but it's not an a feature that should be convincing you that your R7000 is a poor unit. Nor should lacking NAT Loopback be convincing you that you have a problem, because you don't - by networking standards.

You are creating unnecessary extra networking connections that just loop back on itself by connecting to your own external IP when you are behind a router. It is best to just connect to a local IP when hosting a server. This does not affect outside users so this is a complete non-issue.

There is a workaround. But note that you will not actually be connecting to your external IP, it will just appear that way because of what you will be telling Windows to do.

Open your Windows hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) with notepad with administrator privileges and add this line at the bottom:
    127.0.0.1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Replace the x's with your external IP. Save the file. Make sure it does not have a file extension such as .txt. It should just be "hosts", reboot machine.

5. Offline

paecific.jr

But people can't connect externally!

6. Offline

seriosbrad

You never even mentioned this. You mentioned that you could connect with a local IP and not your External IP and I explained why.

Now it sounds like you have a port forwarding issue or a firewall issue. Disable Windows Firewall and port forward, if successful, re-enable Windows Firewall and add an exception for Java.

7. Offline

paecific.jr

Sorry, I had netgear help me with it. I then couldn't connect either internally or externally. I have had this server running it so I have the firewall open. They had me use port triggering as opposed to port forwarding. It still didn't work. What next?

8. Offline

seriosbrad

I'm assuming you are using the correct Internal IP to port forward? What does your server.properties look like? Try leaving the server-ip blank since it's possible for your Internal IP to change.

9. Offline

paecific.jr

Yeah, I have set a static ip

10. Offline

seriosbrad

Can you provide screenshots of your Internal IP and your port forwarding page?

11. Offline

paecific.jr

Yeah one second

Link I couldn't find a easy way to share my snips.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  12. Offline

seriosbrad

It's asking me to request access :p

Try http://imgur.com or the upload file button here

13. Offline

paecific.jr

14. Offline

seriosbrad

The ports forwarding look fine, all I can really think of is Windows Firewall blocking it. You said the firewall was open, but for testing purposes, have you tried to completely disable the Firewall?

15. Offline

paecific.jr

No but lets try this :)

It's off. Would you mind trying to connect?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  16. Offline

seriosbrad

What's the external IP?

17. Offline

paecific.jr

207.177.126.121:25565

18. Offline

seriosbrad

Not workin' :'(

You may want to try rebooting your machine and your router. You can check your port open status with this page too:

http://www.canyouseeme.org

19. Offline

paecific.jr

The port checker timed out

20. Offline

Sot

And that is a complete near-sighted elitist evaluation of the situation. What exactly is your solution for a mobile device such as a laptop or mobile phone that needs to connect to the same host behind that router as it moves between the internal and external network? That usability issue seems to be a bit more important than those pesky "extra networking connections", don't you think? Maybe even enough that one might believe that the R7000 is a "poor unit" under these circumstances? Please tell me what networking standard requires that the network user has to suffer. Sheesh.

21. Offline

rhan75

Hi All,
    I just created my account to post this info.
    I had the exact same problem with port forwarding. I fixed it by lowering my IP address.
    Original IP address of my server: 192.168.1.150
    New IP address of my server: 192.168.1.10
    Firmware Version: V1.0.3.24_1.1.20
    External devices couldn't connect to my internally hosted server which worked perfectly fine before upgrading my router. I did a lot of testing but couldn't figure out why my port forwarding wasn't allowing access from outside. My test rule with TCP/3389 forwarding to 192.168.1.2 (workstation) was working beautifully. Since I had RDP enabled to my server at 192.168.1.150, I tweaked my test rule to point to my server to test. Once I made that change, the test rule no longer worked. When I changed my server IP address to 192.168.1.10, it started working again. I am inclinde to think that there is a specific range of IP addresses that can be assigned when using port forwarding with this router.
    It doesn't make sense but it works for me now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.